Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Bosch Blue Tip experts?

Any Bosch Blue Tip experts?

I've got some bosch blue tips laying around and I'm trying to figure out the application for a couple of them. The short one in the picture is an NOS(or near) one for an early SWB and the long one is the antenna in question. I've got two of these long ones that I have no clue what they're for. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    TIA

My '70 T came from the factory with AM/FM Frankfurt and short Blue tip.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

That tells me that that particular Blue Tip was used at least from '66 to 70. Did they come on '64 and '65s? How far into the '70s. I also still have that question of what did the long Blue Tips come on? 356s? Mercedes 190? BMW 2002? Ghia? Later 911s

Neither one of those antennas came from a Porsche.

Please enlighten. I pulled the exact same off a '66 912 with every exact detail the same. There are plenty of other 911/912 that had the same antenna as well. They always seem to be mated to Blaupunkts as well which makes since as Bosch owned Blaupunkt til 2009. I honestly don't know much but I'm trying to learn so I'm all ears.

I'll add another. '68 911 SWT Sporto. Oregon car. Blue tipped Bosch w/ Blaupunkt.
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

I have one on my 1969 911S SWT and I have a photo of the car when it was less then two years old clearly showing the blue tip antenna.

Enlighten? Without going into a long diatribe, the short answer is that those antennas did not get removed from a Porsche and if they did they were not installed at the factory or at a dealer when the car was new. A proper antenna would have a removable antenna wire, and a fatter barrel, not a fixed one like the example that you have pictured. I have an example of the same antenna you have and mine was removed from a 911 but it is not a "factory" 911 antenna. It is a period or a bit later "period correct" antenna but a "universal" antenna not a factory or dealer installed one. The shorter antenna is just plain wrong.

Regards

Jim
    PS: I am no antenna geek but I have seen a few in my day. My good friend Joris Konig in the Netherlands could go on for days and days about antennas, though. He is, by no means, a geek, though.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

While I cannot confirm it was a factory installed piece (heck the car was built before I was born), I will confirm this particular 911 had at some point in it's previous years had a Bosch blue-tip antenna installed. It looks like the first one in Jim's pictures. No removable wire, but a barrel that unscrews. Also similar to the bottom one of the OP.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

Those blue tips with non-removable wires must have been awfully popular with the dealers. I've had three 1970 and earlier 911/912's that have had them. They always appeared original to me. I've never had a blue tip in an early 911 that had a removable wire. Maybe I'm the exception to the rule.