Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 73 911 - emissions/vapor charcoal canister - how to mount?

73 911 - emissions/vapor charcoal canister - how to mount?

I am struggling with what should be a simple install, but it eludes me. In what I believe is the proper orientation/position of the canister (photo attached), the only way to secure the bracket is by positioning it at the end (towards the front of the car) of the canister where there is a threaded hole (and the only hole) near the wiper fluid. In photos of other cars, the bracket and strap is indeed around the center of the canister, but that would mean (at least in my car) there is no way to secure the bracket and the canister just sits in place. The PET illustration indeed shows a bolt to secure the canister bracket to the trunk floor. What am I missing?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have this picture from my previously owned 70E - perhaps it will help along with the PET or other pictures you will likely get from this board - good luck
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Found this one on Google
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

See this link to pics on 700 mile 1970 S

https://www.flickr.com/photos/807244...7630169538658/

Regards
    Nick
    Last edited by Nicklasliljegren; 05-10-2014 at 10:45 AM.

This link, also all original, has good front and back hose attachment pics. Look through the whole thing as they don't seem to have a particular order.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=F147D...1758&sc=photos

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

member #1515
    Is that your car Ravi? Very nice.

Mac: Can you show us a picture of your bracket and the holes in your floorpan without the canister or bracket in place? I might just need to swivel over.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

No its not. It belonged to the guy restoring my car (Rob Gross). He restored and sold it 2 years ago.

My car looks just as nice , but is not 100% original at all. It has 2 replaced front fenders, front and rear latch panels replaced as well as front battery boxes and floor around that area. Plus a drivers side door skin repair. Plus the back was cut off about a foot from the end and pulled out on a Celette bench about 1/8 inch and rewelded back on. You'd never know because of the spectacular job that was done, but I'm a full-disclosure kind of guy.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Quote Originally Posted by mac73s View Post
    I am struggling with what should be a simple install, but it eludes me. In what I believe is the proper orientation/position of the canister (photo attached), the only way to secure the bracket is by positioning it at the end (towards the front of the car) of the canister where there is a threaded hole (and the only hole) near the wiper fluid. In photos of other cars, the bracket and strap is indeed around the center of the canister, but that would mean (at least in my car) there is no way to secure the bracket and the canister just sits in place. The PET illustration indeed shows a bolt to secure the canister bracket to the trunk floor. What am I missing?
    I see the front suspension pan has been replaced. It is the superceded version for the later cars where the cannister is mounted in the engine bay. On the correct pan there will be a welded threaded insert in the correct position to enable that mount to be bolted down in the correct position. It could be fixed by welding in a captive nut or using a nut-zert which doesn't require welding.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed - thank you, and your answer is exactly what is going on...a simple enough fix. Do you know what the purpose is of the threaded hold where I have the strap secured in the photo I provided? Obviously NOT for the strap as you've clarified that - but what is it used for in the later pans? Thanks again, Steve. P.S. any chance you can provide a photo of the original threaded hold so I can properly orient it???

The threaded hole you're using now is for the battery hold-down bracket, since that tank support was designed for 74 and up cars without battery boxes.

I'll get a picture of that for you.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.