Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sway bar bushing install

Sway bar bushing install

I have gotten my factory sway bar hardware back from plating from Eric at PMB and now getting ready to install. How are the drop link bushings installed? The bushings that go in the drop link circles and the bushing center sleeves that go in the middle of the same rubber are not an easy fit. Does this bushing need to be pressed into the links and the sleeves pressed into the bushings or is there a trick?

Name:  021.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  88.8 KB

Name:  023.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  81.9 KB

Press the sleeve into the bushing then the combined piece into the link. Slowly and patiently with some lubricant if needed. When you reinstall the drop link remember the offset is on top
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Silicone paste is your friend.

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    I heated the bushing (gently) with a gun heater, put silicon grease on the metal inner part, and a vise.
    Silicon grease should be applied on each surface between bushing and metal.
    X
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

I'm having difficulty with the large bushings that go into the drop links. The sleeves went into the bushing centers with no problem with my vice, but the bushings seem awfully large for the links them selves. Any other "tricks"? I applied grease and heated the bushings with a hair dryer while mounted to the vice with no luck.

Sounds above like you have the sleeves installed into the bushing centers and are then trying to fit the the bushing into the drop links? The sleeves must be installed after the bushing is pressed into the drop link.
    S Registry#2021

Quote Originally Posted by mrar View Post
    Sounds above like you have the sleeves installed into the bushing centers and are then trying to fit the the bushing into the drop links? The sleeves must be installed after the bushing is pressed into the drop link.
    Your correct mrar. It was recommended above to do it that way. I have removed the sleeves and put the bushings in then re-installed the sleeves. It did work that way but it was still a bitch.

Name:  009.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  104.6 KB

Next question; What is the method for installing the bar, the plate bushings and the plate? Sorry I need my hand held on this but I didn't remove the bar from my car, it's an add on. Thanks

Bob,
    That was my bad rec above, sorry. Having just done this task to my car, I had it straight in my head but reversed it in haste through the iPad.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    Bob,
    That was my bad rec above, sorry. Had it straight in my head but reversed it in haste through the iPad.
    No worries. I appreciate any guidance. I was able to learn how to remove and re-install the sleeves. I never take my car to a shop anymore thanks to this great registry.

Bob,

Fit the bar so that it even. (sticking out the same amount from either side).

Fit the rubber bush(should have a slit in it).

Fit the mounting bracket, and tighten in a pattern to try and keep it square.

Fit the arms, and then the drop links (loose, until all lined up).

The drop links pretty much only go one way, as you can see one is square, and one is tilted.

Hope that helps.
    Tony