Thread: Your preferred Autocross tire

Your preferred Autocross tire

Hi there. I have a mostly stock 71T. Just bought some 6 inch cookie cutter rims. I'd like to mount summer tires and go to 1 or 2 autocross events and have a more aggressive street tire. Which tire you would mount for summer street and limited autocross usage. I would not use this tire in the rain. I have Bridgestone Potenza 205 60 R15s on my deep sixes now. They are good for street and terrible for autocross.

Tirerack says Yokohama S Drive Ultra High Performance Summer 205-50-R15 at $87 each is the way to go. I read 10 Porsche driving reviews about this tire and they all say thumbs up.
    Last edited by zenithblue71T; 06-18-2014 at 10:42 AM.
    James Hurst #1638
    R Gruppe #514
    911T with 2.2S Ps and Cs, Solex grind Cams and PMO 40mm

Loved these for a couple seasons and spirited back road runs.
    http://falkentire.com/tires/car-tire...is-rt615k-tire
    Actually ran a couple times down in your woods over at Alameda. Mounted on 6 inch cookies as well. AX is a blast...wish I had time still. Enjoy!
    Whit
    ridgerestorations@gmail.com
    66' 911 Coupe (Kinda Gone)
    70' 911T Targa (Across the Pond now)
    68' 912 Targa HW(gone but not forgotton)
    67' 912 Coupe (Under construction)

http://imgur.com/a/aCaof

Look at these tires on this 1973.5 911T. They look tasty but they are 225/45/R15. I'm looking for 205 15s aspect ratio could be 50/55 or 60. There are no choices really at the 60 level for extreme summer.
    James Hurst #1638
    R Gruppe #514
    911T with 2.2S Ps and Cs, Solex grind Cams and PMO 40mm

Those do look really sweet! I run 205/50s and have been very happy. The speedo is off of course but the size is just about right for the wheel gap. With an inch or so lowering. IMHO any smaller would be too big of a gap and larger just rides too tall. Quite a few options in this size.
    Whit
    ridgerestorations@gmail.com
    66' 911 Coupe (Kinda Gone)
    70' 911T Targa (Across the Pond now)
    68' 912 Targa HW(gone but not forgotton)
    67' 912 Coupe (Under construction)

Member#2944
    James,
    I AX my '68 SWT and have been very impressed with the Dunlop Direzza Zll. Tire Rack $109 each. 205X50X15
    Used to the run the Falken 615's and like the Dunlop better.
    I've read that the BF Goodrich G Force Rival's are the new "hot ticket". Better wet rating (AA vs. A) than the Dunlop and $113 at the Rack.
    There's currently a $70 rebate on the Goodrich.
    I rarely use the '68 for anything but AX. I do have another set of tires and rims (195X65X15). The rpm difference is huge. Really wound-up on the highway.
    Tony

Being thrifty, I looked for used 205/50-15 DOT R comp tires. I found a set of lightly (i.e. little old lady on Sunday to/from church in her spec Miata) used Toyo R888's. Seem to work just fine.

I would also consider Toyo RA-1's.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300