PDA

View Full Version : National Parks visit 4 days

Milou
09-11-2014, 12:14 AM
Hello,

We're planning a trip to San Francisco end of October. Our plan is to stay in San Francisco for a couple of days, and then drive a classic 911 through the National Park for 3 nights. Our scope is too see as much great nature as possible. Which parks, hotels, roads, and itinerary would you recommend?

Many thanks for your help,

Jim Breazeale
09-17-2014, 12:50 PM
Hello,

We're planning a trip to San Francisco end of October. Our plan is to stay in San Francisco for a couple of days, and then drive a classic 911 through the National Park for 3 nights. Our scope is too see as much great nature as possible. Which parks, hotels, roads, and itinerary would you recommend?

Many thanks for your help,

So, are you starting out in SF and have 3 nights to visit Northern California? Does your wife like driving on twisty roads?
There are many options and many things to see, including Redwood forests, Northern California Coast, Napa Wine country, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite National Park. or you could head south along the coast to the Monterey Peninsula, Carmel, Big Sur, Hwy 1 (one of the most scenic roads on the planet), Hearst Castle, Santa Barbara. So many choices and so little time.

Regards

Jim

yale
09-17-2014, 06:50 PM
I don't live in California so perhaps take my advice with a grain of salt but I would suggest Yosemite. The Redwoods national and state park is 300 miles North of San Francisco so it's a bit far. Not there isn't fantastic scenery going north, but if your concept is to be somewhere...

Jim Breazeale
09-18-2014, 08:17 AM
There are Redwood Groves within one hour of San Francisco. You don't need to drive 250 miles to look at a tall tree.
Muir Woods National Monument and Samuel P. Taylor State Park are just a short drive from the Golden Gate Bridge.

Regards

Jim

Milou
09-19-2014, 04:22 AM
Thank you for your replies and help!

Yes we do like twisty roads, and want to do a road trip for 3 days. We want to stay North as we've already done in the past the SF to LA coast. The Yosemite Park, Sequoia trees, and Napa valley seems best. We haven't yet booked any hotels are chosen roads and itinerary.

We prefer comfortable b&b or charming hotels (with parking) but it's not easy to decide from internet sites, we do want to avoid big fancy hotels that all too often lack soul.

Any advice on itinerary and hotels would be great!

preS
09-19-2014, 04:51 AM
Two of my favorites north of the bridge:

Good (French style) food, and cozy place to stay in San Rafael: Panama hotel

Perfect view over the (napa) valley: Auberge du Soleil

Richard

Milou
09-19-2014, 05:17 AM
Thank you Richard!

preS
09-19-2014, 05:34 AM
Thank you Richard!

You are welcome :)

I have not been to this one yet, but I want to check it out soon:

http://www.sierrahotsprings.org/intro.htm

Richard

Jim Breazeale
09-19-2014, 12:50 PM
Day 1............Cross the Golden Gate Bridge, take the Hwy 1 exit in Mill Valley and follow the signs to Hwy 1. Travel up Hwy 1 to Point Reyes Station. Stop for some window shopping and maybe buy some cheese at the CowGirl Creamery. Have lunch at La Osteria or better yet have a hamburger at Marin Sun Farms just south of Pt Reyes Station. Hint.....order the Lamb Burger! Drive north on Hwy 1 through Marshall and stop at Hog Island Oyster Co. You may not be too hungry after your Lamb Burger but it is still worth the stop. Continue up Hwy 1 to the Petaluma Hwy. Go through Petaluma and proceed east on Hwy 121 through the Vinyards to Hwy 29 in Napa. Go through Napa and travel up Silverado Trail to Meadow Wood Resort. Stay there and have dinner in their Restaurant. It is very expensive but worth the splurge.
Day 2........... Visit wineries in the Napa Valley. I can make some recommendations, if you wish. In the afternoon, make your way to Yosemite and book a room at the Ahwaahnee Hotel in Yosemite Valley and have dinner in their dining room.
It will be about 2 1/2 hours to Yosemite Valley from the Napa Valley. Use Trip Advisor for suggestions other than mine.
Day 3.............Sight see in Yosemite and make your way back to SF.

Regards

Jim
PS: This plan would be pretty ambitious!

boxster03
09-19-2014, 03:02 PM
Drive route 120 from west to east - a great drive !

Milou
09-24-2014, 05:14 AM
Day 1............Cross the Golden Gate Bridge, take the Hwy 1 exit in Mill Valley and follow the signs to Hwy 1. Travel up Hwy 1 to Point Reyes Station. Stop for some window shopping and maybe buy some cheese at the CowGirl Creamery. Have lunch at La Osteria or better yet have a hamburger at Marin Sun Farms just south of Pt Reyes Station. Hint.....order the Lamb Burger! Drive north on Hwy 1 through Marshall and stop at Hog Island Oyster Co. You may not be too hungry after your Lamb Burger but it is still worth the stop. Continue up Hwy 1 to the Petaluma Hwy. Go through Petaluma and proceed east on Hwy 121 through the Vinyards to Hwy 29 in Napa. Go through Napa and travel up Silverado Trail to Meadow Wood Resort. Stay there and have dinner in their Restaurant. It is very expensive but worth the splurge.
Day 2........... Visit wineries in the Napa Valley. I can make some recommendations, if you wish. In the afternoon, make your way to Yosemite and book a room at the Ahwaahnee Hotel in Yosemite Valley and have dinner in their dining room.
It will be about 2 1/2 hours to Yosemite Valley from the Napa Valley. Use Trip Advisor for suggestions other than mine.
Day 3.............Sight see in Yosemite and make your way back to SF.

Regards

Jim
PS: This plan would be pretty ambitious!

This is great, thank you Jim, I've now seen all the places you recommend, and it's pretty much exactly what we were looking for! Many thanks, Thomas

Jim Breazeale
09-24-2014, 02:35 PM
Thomas

Feel free to contact me any time.

Regards

Jim
PS: You should have a great time.

LongRanger
09-26-2014, 10:42 PM
. . . prefer comfortable b&b or charming hotels (with parking) but it's not easy to decide from internet sites . . .

Been a coupla years, but I still remember our stay at The Sandpiper House Inn, in Elk. Right on The One w/ spectacular views of the coast. Had to drive through redwood groves to get there, too. Kinda remote --- closest town is Mendocino . . . 'artist colony' stuff

Milou
09-30-2014, 10:24 PM
Thanks Rick, it looks beautiful! I've found a nice B&B in SF and now working on the rest of the trip. It's looking like we'll go East but Sandpiper house seems great.

LongRanger
10-03-2014, 03:51 AM
Wherever you go, Thomas . . .

. . . take/share some pics --- if you can?

;)

rower
10-03-2014, 08:44 AM
Jim's schedule is good.

I also like the drive through Anderson Valley to Mendocino.

As for Napa, Meadowwood is great and the restaurant is renowned. I probably prefer Calistoga Ranch to stay at though.

You also can't go wrong exploring the roads of Sonoma - much more interesting to me than Napa.

Milou
10-26-2014, 06:48 AM
Just landed in SF yesterday, wonderful weather!

We're meeting Freddie this afternoon who's bringing the car from Oregon.

We'll stay in San Francisco a couple of days before driving to the Yosemite park!

JKW
10-27-2014, 06:58 AM
The nicest small hotel and restaurant in the Yosemite area is in Oakhurst on the southern side -- http://www.chateausureau.com/restaurant.html. Erna's Elderberry House is a great restaurant and is a Relais & Chateaux. Jon

Milou
10-27-2014, 08:05 AM
Thanks Jon,

Here is the link to the trip we're doing:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/showthread.php?105420-San-Francisco-Yosemite-Park

We've found a cool place in Yosemite, will post in a couple of days!

CarmelSkip
10-28-2014, 07:37 AM
Looks like you were in the neighborhood but make sure to go to the West end of Broadway up in Pacific Heights. Its the perfect SF view and you can walk the "steps"

Milou
10-28-2014, 08:46 AM
yeap, staying at the Union Street Inn. I love this city, it is amazing, best quality of life it seems to me :-)