Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Model year 66 interior questions

Model year 66 interior questions

Hi all!
    After quite a long break (way too long actually) I want to continue my restoration again.

At the LA toy and lit show I managed to buy blue leather seat covers from Tony and they look great!
    That got the restoration vibe starting again

Basically what needs to be done is interior and putting everything back together.
    However I still have some questions about the interior.

Originally my car came with a blue interior and I have understood from Tony that the factory way back in the day was front seats in leather and the rest (door panels, rear seats and dash) will be vinyl.

About the rear seats, I see them basically in two shapes; seats only and seats with some sort of a border around them. What's the difference and what is correct for my car?
    I mean the borders in this pic;
    Name:  rear seats.png
Views: 763
Size:  348.3 KB

About the doorpanels, these should be blue but looking at quite a few cars with other than black interiors I have some questions about the map pockets, arm rest and upper trim panel;
    Should the map pockets also be blue or black? I see them both
    Arm rest, same question.. I see them in color but also in black. After looking at factory brochures I think they should be black but can someone confirm?
    Same thing goes for the top door trim panel, both can be found but again, I think these should be black.

That also brings me to the parcel shelf, these can be found in black but also in the color of the interior.. what is correct?

Last question is concerning the carpet, basically two choices; square weave or velour.. what is correct?
    And should I put carpet on the floor since it came with rubber from the factory? Any thoughts would be highly appreciated

Sorry for all the questions, I need to get back in the game..

Thanks and regards, Semjon
    Early 911S registry member #1391
    Built '65, MY66 911 in total restoration

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    One thing I can tell you was that leather was not standard. There were two options:

9425 Complete genuine leather upholstery DM850.00 US$212.50
    9428 Genuine leather, seats only DM300.00 US$75.00

You would have to refer to your car's Certificate of Authenticity or Kardex to see what's "correct" for it.

I have a '65, and as far as I know, a '66 is the same as far as carpeting and back seats go. Carpeting should be expensive "salt & pepper" (mainly black with some white/light grey fibers) wool velour and the back seats should have the leather/leatherette rims shown in your picture.

I haven't seen many interiors other than black. I've never seen a blue interior in such an old 911 (and the 1966 interiors listed at http://derwhites356literature.com/De...iterature.html are black, red, brown, and beige). Your blue interior is a first for me.

The best source I have is Peter Morgan's ORIGINAL PORSCHE 911 which has photos of a slate grey 1965 911 with red leather. The dashboard top, knee pad, door tops, and armrests are black. The door panels, seats, and rear shelf (including the vertical part behind the rear seat backs) are red. As far as I can tell (having never seen blue interior) everything in the photo is probably correct.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

The carpeting in the front trunk should be squareweave.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA

1965 Porsche 911 coupe

Jim, thank you for your reply! My kardex states; F Leder Blau/ Cords. Perle

So Blue leather with corduroy inserts. Perle I'm still not sure about...

Will get Peter Morgens book out of the storage box, indeed a good lead.

Thanks again

Semjon,

what is the vin of your car, because then we can check in the thread with the 64/65 mj changes concerning the high rims on the back seat. I´ve seen blue interior already with white exterior on an original 65 912 at the french coast. very nice, very "marine style" and beautiful.

The armrests had been blue...etc..but have a look at it . .
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Hi Haul, thanks for the pictures! Indeed a beautiful combination.

Is it an original interior? Looks like the parcel shelf is black or am I mistaken?

My vin is 302831.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Semjon View Post
    Jim, thank you for your reply! My kardex states; F Leder Blau/ Cords. Perle

So Blue leather with corduroy inserts. Perle I'm still not sure about...

Will get Peter Morgens book out of the storage box, indeed a good lead.

Thanks again
    As I said, I can't find any record of blue interiors in early 911s, but Brett Johnson's The 356 Porsche, A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity shows F/C Blue w/"Pearl" Corduroy as a standard interior combination for Silver (T5 & T6) and Heron Grey (T5) 356Bs as well as F/C Blue w/Pearl Grey Corduroy with [special order paint] Dolphin Grey 356Cs. I don't know what pearl grey corduroy looks like but Tony Garcia should. It was also paired with grey leather/leatherette in 356s.

I guess your 911 was special ordered to replace a 356 that somebody really loved.

By the way, I think the leather/leatherette "rims" around the back seats were just for early 911s. 912s (to the best of my knowledge) didn't have them.
    Last edited by NeunElf; 03-23-2015 at 08:54 AM.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA

1965 Porsche 911 coupe

I think the high-rim rear seats went into late 1966 production. 305811S is a Sept '66 produced '67 MY, with its original, 'collared' rear seats.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Hey Semjon

Seat surrounds for 911 are standard in 1965 and 1966. Not on the 912, and not on the later cars. We discuss here:

http://ww.early911sregistry.org/foru...ke-a-car-again
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by haul View Post
    Semjon,

what is the vin of your car, because then we can check in the thread with the 64/65 mj changes concerning the high rims on the back seat. I´ve seen blue interior already with white exterior on an original 65 912 at the french coast. very nice, very "marine style" and beautiful.The armrests had been blue...etc..but have a look at it . .
    Pretty sure that 65 912 isn't original. You could always order full custom leather with dash and arm rests etc....
    but that car is suspect at being original because in part because of the late right lock post....
    The car has had some deep repairs...
    I would like to see the inside of the door cards before I would claim it was original...JMHO
    H
    Last edited by Harvey Weidman; 03-23-2015 at 01:31 PM.