Thread: Correct voltage regulator advice...

Correct voltage regulator advice...

This is the alternator on my car. Can somebody confirm (definitively) what is the correct regulator to use with this? There seems to be three alternatives, one being an original old-style 'tin can' type, the others one of two different solid state types. Thanks guys!

Cornwall
    UK

The 'tincan' was the original, but not available any more new. The official replacements are of the plastic housing variety.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    The 'tincan' was the original, but not available any more new. The official replacements are of the plastic housing variety.
    Yes, but there are two styles of plastic solid state ones available, and I'm trying to work out which is right. Some people say it doesn't matter, while others say it's vitally important to get the right one.
    Cornwall
    UK

Well, the 'right' one is the metal one, so anything after is not 'right' but rather what is available, or scout around for used 'metal' ones. The metal ones were a electro-mechaincal device and were adjustable, I don't believe the later ones are adjustable. What reasons do "some" people, or "others" say are the reasons they are no good? Knowing that could influence direction one takes.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I thought there was a 1 volt difference in output for the RED BRIDGE SEV. A standard regulator, like a Bosch if used, will be -1 volt output to battery. Gordon. Could be sticking my foot in my mouth.

I had to deal with this on a later 911 engine into a 914/6. The engine had the SEV motorola alternator, but of course the relay board is only set-up for a Bosch regulator, and I had always gone on the assumption that only like brands should be used together. I checked with my local rebuilder and he said essentially what you did Gordon, that the charge rate would be low, but that by using the adjustable old style Bosch regulator you could just adjust the points tension to bring up the voltage. I did and it's been working for over a year now.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

i had the same alternator working with a bosch voltage regulator. No issues. You should try to find a motorola VR to match with the alt... or find a bosch alt to match with your VR. Name:  DSCN43801348347932.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  50.8 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  93.7 KB

I've had good results with the black plastic box solid state regulators with the Motorola alternator.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green