Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this bump for on rear panel?

What is this bump for on rear panel?

Name:  bump.png
Views: 632
Size:  175.2 KB

1972 and earlier cars do not have it.

have seen some cars that had a switch for the alarm system mounted there...
    but not sure if this was already an option for 73-

I asked the same question a few months ago and just got someone's attempt at humor.

It is not on early 73s. It is roughly the timing (around April 73) of the introduction of the externally-sealed mainshaft version of the 915. And it continues thereafter.

The logical thing is an alarm switch - or engine compartment light switch - but I've never seen either use that spot.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

My 73, built April--June 1973 had it. No idea about its function.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

That is a G series rear panel. F series cars didn't have it. I think its where the engine bay light switch presses against, which is mounted on the engine lid.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by PMNorris View Post
    That is a G series rear panel. F series cars didn't have it. I think its where the engine bay light switch presses against, which is mounted on the engine lid.
    Paul
    I think you will find there are many thousands of F series cars with that 'bump.'
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

That's interesting. My Karmann built, German delivered 70T has the bump, but i was told that only G series cars had the bump, and mine shouldn't have it. I was told this by a restoration expert in Nurnberg, Germany when i had some work done on it. He assumed the car had been rebuilt at some point in the past. This is pretty much a certainty as it is 100% rust free, but i have not details of the rebuild. Anyway, it would be good to get a definitive answer on the mystery bump!

I was once proudly shown an "original paint, unmolested" 66 912 by a proud seller... And pointed out the bump. Oops.
    techweenie.com

Original 72S, no bump:

Name:  randywells-6458.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  117.4 KB

Low mile 73T, bump:

Name:  9113102929_20.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  46.3 KB
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

Right- I'm learning... I was at Hershey Saturday and practiced keeping my mouth shut when viewing some pretty hairy modifications.

But back on track- Does anyone know what this mystery hole is? Experts at Hershey said it might be from an aftermarket Alarm System.
    I do not have an engine compartment light and I'm told it is not automatically illuminated like the front trunk so no switch from factory.

I have seen this same hole on several different cars and always in the very same spot.

I'm having some work done in that corner so I want to know if I should have it welded-up and finished.
    I'm leaning toward having it closed up since I see so many 1969 cars without it and it is just another distraction and source of corrosion.

What do you think?

Name:  Mystery hole.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  27.4 KB