Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Porsche Fasteners - Nuts, Bolts, Screws and Washers

Porsche Fasteners - Nuts, Bolts, Screws and Washers

Hey guys,

I am working on cataloging all the fasteners found in classic Porsche vehicles. I have started with the 356, but will have the 911 completely cataloged soon.

Fasteners are the nuts, bolts, screws, washers and any other specialty fasteners (no other word to use there really). I call it The Porsche Fastener Catalog.

I record the data diagram by diagram. Therefor, as I complete the diagram I can assemble a kit that replicates the factory supplied hardware. I am starting small and working my way out, looking to introduce a new fastener kit every week.

As I have begun cataloging 911 fasteners I want to ask the drivers, enthusiast, experts, etc. which kits they would like to see available for early 911s? I strive to replicate the kits to factory specifications and while they will not read with original markings, such as Kamax or Verbus, every other specification will be identical.

I want this process to involve the Porsche community and also be based on crowed sourced information or demand. The more information I receive from fellow enthusiast, the more kits that will be available for everyone! My end goal is to have a complete Porsche Fastener Catalog, available for information purposes, but also a complete inventory of kits to build 356, 911, 914, etc.

The task is ambitious and the cataloging work is immense, not to mention the fastener work on the other side. I thoroughly enjoy studying these vehicles and after a life long lust of classic Porsches, I have decided to study the most minute hardware on the car! There is always more to learn and this project is adding some serious fuel to that fire!

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or notes!

Thank you,

Ben Brinker
    thenewgarage@gmail.com

how far have you gotten, and which subsystems have you done so far?

hard to know where to help otherwise

1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

First reply didn't seem to make it through...

37yrold911, I have gotten through a 356 B at the moment. I have just begun the process and a 356 B catalog was the first bit of material I could get my hands on. All the information is logged from the factory books, and now I am compiling the kits and getting the hardware.

I started with a front and rear bumper kit for 356 B's. Engine Tin kit will be in this week. Next I want to get the suspension kits finalized.

I will be getting 356 A in the near future and already have a '66, '74 and '77 911 catalogs lined up.

StephenAcworth, that is an amazing little find.! That is the first thing I have seen of anything like that. Looks like a wealth of information to help me get to my goal!

There is a wealth of information tucked in these threads too... Thank you!

You should try to have the markings reproduced. I think that is what most folks would be interested in. Thanks for you help.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

I'm doing something similar, building a fastener library that details each piece of hardware, it's application, quantity, dimensions, associated hardware, and manufacturer. The next step is to match the manufacturer with the date range in which a particular bolt was used. I wouldn't want to use a Kamax which may have been used in 1977 when a Graeka is correct for a 69. I've got 12 different manufacturers so far.

A small sampling so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Tru6 Restoration & Design
    69S Targa, Velvet Green
    73T Coupe, Gemini Blue
    Early S Registry #1462

Hi Shaun -

I'm sure there are lots of guys here that are restoring their car, like myself ('73).

We would all pay Big for a drawer like yours! I will, at least!

- Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robert5995 View Post
    Hi Shaun -

I'm sure there are lots of guys here that are restoring their car, like myself ('73).

We would all pay Big for a drawer like yours! I will, at least!

- Rob
    I agree, but getting the drawer full is fairly easy in comparison to the work required in actually cataloging and sizing every application for every nut and bolt in those drawers. I wish Shawn well and call on all members to help in any way possible. I have done much of this for my Land Cruisers and it takes a tremendous amount of time and energy. XLS works well.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

you asked about which assemblies/kits would be most useful.

for me, i would be interested in a simple set of fasteners for the: front suspension; rear suspension, stabilizer bar(s); front deck; rear deck; and doors.

not sure if this is helpful toyour interests, but it will be the next thing i'll be seeking, and those fasteners are very visible. hope this helps.

It's a lot bigger problem than just the right thread pitch and SW-- or even the headmark-- it's the Pre-ISO property-class that is key.

If you put 10.9 screws in a car that came with 10K you're taking points off. . . do points matter? Well, yes they matter. People who care about early 911s don't do it because of the huge power and big tires, they do it because the car is a time machine.

Contact Acument and see if they will make you ORIGINALS. . . that would be very worthwhile indeed.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen