Thread: 73S - some assembly required...need some information please

73S - some assembly required...need some information please

I would appreciate thoughts on these four photos...the first showing components of the fuel release cable, tube, etc. You can see that their is a flared end on one side of release cable tube which fits nicely onto the tube exiting the body, but the tube could also be flipped and the flared end fit to a similar tube for the guide cable that is on the fender. With just one end flared, the opposite end would not fit either over or inside the respective tube...looking for thoughts on how these pieces should be attached. On two photos of the rocker deco moulding, the thin gasket that came off the original mouldings is the one with the triangular/tree top configuration where the triangular piece secures nicely into the top inside channel. When I ordered what should have been that piece (999-911-198-40) it does not match that, but what is show on the other photo...which does fit into the channel but perhaps not as nicely. If anyone can help me identify a proper part number for the gasket with the triangular/tree top protrusion I'd be most appreciative...my parts guy as tried everything. The photo showing the rear quarter with the fender to rear bumper gasket in place...just looking for confirmation that it secures this way (rather than to the bumper) and whether or not it is recommended to use weatherstrip adhesive (it comes with a strip of peel off tape that leaves a stick to the gasket) is needed for added insurance to keep it I place. Thank you all.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

The bumper to body seal looks correct. New pieces come with the double sticky tape which works if all is clean and you don't try to remove it. The important part is the seal groove MUST fit over the flange of the fender to align properly, which it looks like yours is. The bumper may need to be shimmed so as to NOT pinch the seal too tightly, it should be uniform along its length. A mistake many make. Same for the front bumper. As for the rocker trim I have learned (the hard way) what comes with the repro trim doesn't fit like the original beading (surprise surprise) We get the 356 narrow beading in bulk length from International Mercantile. The original sleeve for the gas flap cable was a white plastic poly vinyl piece that fit within the tubes, no flares. That must be a superseded part. I just go to ACE hdw. and get the correct diameter poly vinyl tubing.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed - thank you for taking the time to answer all my questions. I have new deco mouldings from PORSCHE (not in the photos) and those pieces came without any moulding. As to the beading you mention from IM, of the two examples I posted, which one best fits what they sell (if either!). I still have the original white plastic poly vinyl tube (brick hard now!), and was thinking of the 'hardware' option too...with your approval that's what I'm going to do. How about the small rubber cap that is in the photo which has a very small hole in the end for the wire cable to fit though...was that original, and if so, did it go at the end of the cable where it enters the fuel filler opening? Thank you again!

The 2nd picture is the closest fit to correct. The difference was in how much beading edge is exposed when the trim piece is installed. The original was a very narrow lip. Yes, the rubber tip goes over the cable edge where it exits the tube at the release lever.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed - thank you again. Of course I went ahead and put the beading into the new deco pieces that is the wider one...easy enough to swap. I have one other follow up on attaching the rear bumpers. Does the black "L" tubular bracket fit to the outside (towards the wheel) to the corresponding bumper bracket, or to the inside/behind it towards to rear of the car?? Thank you, Steve

To the outside, to the bumper bracket.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    To the outside, to the bumper bracket.
    Thank you Ed...all the brackets and bolts align great except for the tube to that bracket...the tubes need to drop almost a half inch or less in order to align with the hole in the bracket. I assume that is why the upper ends of the tubes that go through the body into the engine compartment are threaded and secured with a nut and lock ring so the height of the tube can be adjusted up or down. Can you please confirm. Thank you, Steve