Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can someone help and post images of an original blue interior

Can someone help and post images of an original blue interior

I am looking for some help trying to source some reference images with which to restore my car. The car is a 1973 911 E coupe, originally delivered in Gemnini Metallic / 8686, the interior is listed as Blue Leatherette with "Madras" check inlays.

The car has none of the original interior left which makes it quite difficult for me to colour match.

Does anyone have the original colour charts and fabric options for 1972/73?

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/vie...it=blue+madras

The above link is to a thread to some shots of an original blue interior car, it would be great if someone could confirm that this is in fact correct, I am really struggling to source the blue carpet and the blue leatherette. Any suggestions for a source would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

The next link is to my own car, slow progress.

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/vie...p?f=28&t=48783
    Early 911S Registry #2278

Tom, that will be a spectacular car. The blue interior in the link looks correct. I have never seen blue carpet in the 'flesh', but charcoal may also be correct. Not sure. My 73S also has madras check. It is NLA everywhere unless you find a long lost stash. Madras was, to my knowledge, an ROW only option on 73 model cars. It came in tan, red and blue. Also, not positive, but the 73 pattern was unique to that year. Fabric books show the madras but only in an earlier pattern that I have seen. The later, 74 on, patterns are different yet. I have seen a photo of the 73 in red and I have tan on my seats. I have never seen my madras anywhere and I think it is extremely uncommon.

My car is verified by the original owner as having the seats when delivered. I'm sure a weaver could duplicate but it would be prohibitively expensive. For the vinyl try Autobahn Interiors or Autos International in California. I know the have the blue vinyl in the proper color for 356 cars probably 911 as well.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Steve thanks for the reply. I am really looking forward to seeing the car come together and agree the interior will be pretty rare. Are you able to post a picture of your 73 madras. This would be really helpful.

Tom I know that Dave Conklin (Cornpanzer) has a fabric sample book. You may try and message him.
    Porsche taste on a Volkswagen budget...

Hi
    I have the samples book: do you know the code numbers for the interior? That would make a big difference as the references in the book are all numbers, no names... I am happy to take some photos and send you the result!
    Stephen
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Stephen I don't have the codes. Not sure if I can get these from Porsche on supplying the chassis number, the COA only states blue leatherette with madras inlay.

Looking through one of my books it lists the blue leatherette as 301.

It then goes on to specify fabric combinations leatherette and madras tartan in blue as 374.

I think matching the carpet is going to be difficult. I am really not sure how the car was delivered 1972 cars from the book I have show a nylon velour carpet in blue /green as 301.

Then in 1973 it looks as though the E and S had velour pile in black.

My car is a 1973 so not sure if the base carpet would have been black or supplied blue like I have seen in some cars.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Tom

Hi Tom
    I'll go through the book tomorrow afternoon/evening and post some photos here of anything that looks as if it might be right.
    Stephen

Member #1616

Tom

On the carpet for 72 and 73 for T's, E's and S's they did have other colors than black, but apart from brown / tan, they were very rare and I think the interior code for COA purposes may be 99 for special order although that hides a lot of detail that should be available from the order sheets.

My car is a 73E and it had a tan carpet and cars with brown or tan interiors usually had a tan or a darker brown carpet. These were "standard" colors along with black

My understanding is that in 1972 and 1973 all other color carpets were by special order only, but certainly the these cars were supposed to have "matching carpets" when the madras fabric was ordered. Whether that stretched to blue I dont know but the attached color sheet for 72 (should be identical for 73) shows a blue madras code 41 along with a blue leatherette? trim also marked 41 and a carpet that i cant tell if it is a very dark blue or some sort of charcoal that is also marked 41. That seems to be the "41" blue madras matching set.
    Attachment 331764

the other madras sets are also shown on this picture

I am sure that Dave Conklin's book would be easier to interpret though compared to this photo

whatever the result i think it is very rare and will look spectacular

this is what I have in my files on interior codes etc for 72 and 73

Have part numbers for 72/ 73 series. Not sure if they are the same for earlier years but they are:
    999.551.001.40. Standard trim leatherette in:

• Brown 406
    • Tan 502
    • Red 003
    • Blue 301
    • Black 708

999.551.032.40. Corduroy fabric on seats in:

• Brown 400
    • Tan 500
    • Black 700

000.551.531.00. Pepita (hounds tooth) fabric for seats in:

• Brown/ white / black 430
    • Black / white 730

We know that other pepita colour options had been available but maybe not at this stage.

999.531.031.40. Madras (tartan) fabric for seats in:

• Reds 43
    • Blues 41
    • Browns 42

to me the blue in the front area of the car in the DDK thread looks like a Mercedes blue from the era and a bit too blue (although it is difficult to tell from photos) whereas the blue color of the carpet in the rear of the same car when the rear seats are up looks closer to the sample chart I have posted. maybe it is all a trick of the light and they are the same colors but i think the color is (much) darker than the blue of the trim - like the second color in the madras fabric
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Thanks for posting. Looks excellent.

OK here are some photos from the fabric and colour manual
    Name:  IMG_2882.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  56.6 KBName:  IMG_2883.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  64.3 KB

Member #1616