Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help - Rear Wiring Harness Sheath

Help - Rear Wiring Harness Sheath

The protective sheath on my rear wiring harness is cracked and worn in several places. I would like to replace it with something close to original. On my RSR I used some heavy duty shrink fit tubing. I am wondering if there is something more original looking for this car. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

I think you'll find what you need with McMaster-Carr. I swapped out some of these sheaths during the restoration of my 73 S....McMaster-Carr has many sizes to choose from and I found them indistinguishable from what I replaced.

Mac

Thanks. I used McMaster-Carr shrink fits on my RSR project and they proved to be very durable. I will check them out again.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E

Tom - what I used is NOT shrink wrap, but rather what they offer in plastic tubing (they possibly call it PVC)...it is dead on to what you need and they seem to have many, many sizes. If you can't find it, let me know and I can go through my invoices to help identify the section it would be listed in.

Mac

I suppose you mean this stuff?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-pvc-tubing/=wymy13

Soft, very flexible in black?
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E

That sheathing, as it exits the tunnel is thin walled rubber tubing...NOT plastic, vinyl, or shrink wrap.

McMaster-Carr is still the source....I found a thin walled rubber tube/hose stock that matched the original material perfectly and fit snugly over the flange at the tunnel.....don't forget the white tie wrap on that flange.
    Last edited by smedley; 04-29-2015 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Heard of people using an appropriately sized bicycle tire tube.
    Jeff Jensen

Quote Originally Posted by smedley View Post
    That sheathing, as it exits the tunnel is thin walled rubber tubing...NOT plastic, vinyl, or shrink wrap.

McMaster-Carr is still the source....I found a thin walled rubber tube/hose stock that matched the original material perfectly and fit snugly over the flange at the tunnel.....don't forget the white tie wrap on that flange.
    Thanks...I am on it.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E

Tom- Please post your findings. I need the same stuff for my rear harness. Thanks.
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

I cut the sheath out and measured it:

wall thickness = 1/16"
    OD = 1.2"
    Length = 40"

It seems like this is the ticket

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rubber-tubing/=wysv33

High-Temperature Silicone Rubber Tubing
    Opaque
    Semi-Clear

Very flexible
    Semisoft: Shore A70
    Temperature Range: -94° to 392° F
    Use with barbed fittings

ID OD Wall Bend Radius Available Lengths, ft. Max. psi@ 72° F Per Ft. Max. psi@ 72° F Per Ft.
    1" 1 1/8" 1/16" 3 1/4" 2, 5, 10, 25, 50, 100 3 51135K63 $3.53 5 5236K28 $3.1
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E