Thread: Question on the gaskets between the weber and manifold

Question on the gaskets between the weber and manifold

When I removed the webers, there were two gaskets between the carbs and the manifolds; one thick and one thin. Now that I am done with the carb rebuild, I could install the two gaskets back the same way, but replacing the thin one with the new green gasket as in photo below. The thick gasket is in good condition, material is very hard fiber.
    1. Should I use both?
    2. Is the thick gasket used for heat displacement?
    3. Shoul I glue the two together , if used. Would a leak occur between the two if put in dry?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

The thick one you have standing on edge is a phenolic insulator. It should be sandwiched between the two green gaskets,,,,ie. gasket, insulator, gasket.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks Ed.

Unless I'm reading the parts book wrong these gaskets should go between the cylinder heads and the manifolds. Only a single gasket (each intake port) between the manifold and the carburator.
    Mark
    Mark Curtin
    Early S Registry #369
    Rgruppe #247

That insulator is the wrong size to go on the head flange, it is sized for the manifold to carb flange. At one time Porsche only used a single gasket between the head and manifold. That led to fuel percolation on hot days, so an insulator kit (with appropriate longer studs) was to be retrofitted. Additional insulators (probably aftermarket) were also used between the carb and manifold. More insulation is a good thing.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed,
    The Webers fit on great with your recommendation. When I removed the carbs having the two gaskets, the thick one stuck to the base of the Webers. Now with the third thin gasket, I see it protecting the insulator gasket.
    See photo:
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I have an intake leak on my 914-6 and am going to lift the carbs and replace the manifold to carb gaskets. Instead of a single gasket as shown in the parts book I would like to do as has been done in this posting. What part number is the insulating gasket which is sandwiched between the two (901-108-398-01) gaskets?
    Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark Curtin
    Early S Registry #369
    Rgruppe #247

Mark,
    I am not sure of the part number, but believe the insulation gasket is a Porsche part. It was in very good condition after I removed the carbs. I only replaced the green thin gasket, as the originals were brittle and cracked apart.

Scott