Thread: pull type clutch sidecover...quickie question

pull type clutch sidecover...quickie question

70-71 911 trannie. Not my favorite, but what I am working with. This brief two year period saw Porsche experiment with the fork and throwout bearing pulling the pressure plate diaphragm away from the cutch disc. Invariably, the Bowden tube that floats in the bung on the trannie side cover wears the mag and the whole situation becomes sloppy. Mine needed to be fixed or replaced...so I replaced it with a side cover (newer version) with the extra gussets for strength. Little did I realize that the cover had the 901 part number vs 911 part number. Engine/trannie is installed in car and I realized yesterday that the side cover is a 901 cover which means the guide in the cover has an opening that is smaller than the opening in a 911 cover (for the Bowden tube). Am I correct in assuming I can carefully machine the opening which currently was designed to STOP the cable housing on a 901 trannie...and use it as a guide for the Bowden tube with my 911 clutch cable?
    Said another way...can't I just open the stop up to become the necessary guide? What should the dimension of the new hole be? I do recognize I will need to "flare the hole on both ends as to not "chafe" the plastic housing on the cable out side.

TIA

Speedo
    registry# 1283

More importantly if you have replaced the side cover you have likely changed the preload on the bearings and possibly the backlash of the ring and pinion. Better to use the original cover and repair the hole. I have repaired many of these with a machined steel sleeve that is epoxied in place.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks Ed,
    I should have posted that in addition to going through the entire trannie...we checked and reset the preload on the bearings, replaced the output flange seals and checked the backlash of the ring and pinion....all good things. Now to deal with the ID of the cable "carrier". Ok to go ahead and machine it?

Speedo
    registry# 1283

Fixed...all good. I will share if anyone needs to know a proper fix. PM me.

Speedo
    registry# 1283