Thread: "Swing/Banana Arm Bushings pretty much last forever."

"Swing/Banana Arm Bushings pretty much last forever."

Posted this on the bird but it's really more appropriate here.
    We are sometimes advised that the control/swing/banana arm bushing "lasts forever."
    Pulled one of the arms today. This is what fell out. Symptom was an occasional
    awful creaking sound from the suspension. 120k miles, car is a 74 with the aluminum
    trailing arm. Can't wait to see the other side!
    Edit: Week later, pulled the other side. Surprise, they were tired but fine. A friend who is experienced
    in such matters says rubber performance/longevity varies greatly between lots.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jameshtaylor; 06-01-2015 at 12:47 PM. Reason: clarity
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

I think 40 years = forever. I recently did both my cars and they were not as bad as yours, but it was defintely time.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

member #1515
    Mine were like rocks, went with elephant rubber, sport hardness. Very happy.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I haven't done my '73 911 yet. But I did replace the ones on my '67 912. Once I had them out, didn't think I should have bothered. They were fine. Not "new" or perfect. But nothing to feel as though they needed to be done.