Thread: More camber please!

B rad racer2

More camber please!

Is there an inexpensive method of increasing (more negative) the camber in the front of an early or late 911S? It looks like the strut dust cover it hitting the inner fender and the upper mount is also hitting the inner fender and the camber is measured at -0.44 degrees.
    Also, what is the formula to calculate the spacing of each given degree for a certain distance?

B_rad

ttweed
    What is your ride height set at? You can lower the car to get more camber, but then you will have to correct the bump steer and watch out for drainage swales and speedbumps. You should be able to get 1-1/2 to 2 degrees negative without major surgery.

I'm sorry, I don't understand your second question. Perhaps you could re-word it to make it clearer.

TT

911SRegistry

More Camber

To provide more negative camber adjustment, remove the upper strut from the chassis, then take a grinding tool and remove some material from the inboard side of the strut mount opening. Don't get too carried away.

I'm not sure how many degrees camber change for lateral movement of the upper strut. You could work this out mathematically. Was this what you meant?

Sherwood Lee

ttweed

Re: More Camber

If you are planning to race the car, just be aware that suspension changes requiring cutting/machining/welding carry a penalty with most sanctioning organizations that could change your planned classification.

If you are trying to calculate the degrees of camber change for lateral movement of the upper strut mount, as Sherwood guesses, this might be solved by a trig function. You can obtain the length of any side of a triangle if you know the length of one other side and the specific acute angle of camber you're trying to get.

I don't know how you are going to establish this triangle, or accurately measure the lengths of the sides, though, since you're dealing with a movement of the top of the strut, which produces a corresponding (but not equal) movement in the top of the tire. You'd probably be better off with direct measurement with a camber gauge.

TT

B rad racer2

More camber

As far as syspension changes, I do not intend cutting up the inner fenders, mainly small things like removing the strut dust covers and removing a little material from the upper strut mount (the one with the rubber bushing) and enlongating the mount holes. Simple stuff.

I was just testing you guys to see how nerdy you were and knew the triangulation formula off the top of your head. Iwas really just wondering how much campber I needto gain to get a additional 1/4" gap between the fender and tire.
    BTW
    My new complete custome 17"X 9" and 10" wheels and tires will be here any day. I'm very excited. I'll be at the NASA Auto X at Marina on 17th testing them out. I can't wait.

ttweed

Re: More camber

Sorry, it's been too long since I was in school to remember the trig functions off the top of my head, and I have to admit that I have rarely used my college education in my entire working career . I would have to look them up, nowadays.

You're fitting 17" x 9 & 10" wheels? Are you running a wide-body/Turbo look? What size tires are you fitting on them?

NASA runs autox events? I thought they only did big-track stuff. Where is this "Marina" site? We have a PCASDR autox at Qualcomm Stadium that day, so I wouldn't be able to go, but more info for the future would be helpful.

Thx,
    TT

B rad racer2

More camber

Dennis Hale runs the NASA Auto cross series. He runs a real good show too. I knew him in the early 80's when I was a Datsun 510 nut.
    Marina Air field is in Monterey. Here is the WEB page www.geocities.com/nasa_autox/

I have done a couple of PCA autoX events, but I like the NASA club for AutoX because, for one PCA make it a all day event and NASA splits into two 1/2 day run groups AM and PM. It is a lot easier to get approved from the Wife for a 1/2 day. Second, I don't like the fact that they don't chaulk the course. Last time I DNF'ed 4 out of 5 runs. I have never DNF'ed since I started in the 80's.
    Third, I think it's a little funner trying to beat other cars than Porsches.
    You should try it some time.

I'm running a narrow body with Carrera rear flares.
    235/40/17 and 275/40/17 Kumho's. It's going to be real tight fit.

B_rad