Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: torques

jkolesa

torques

anyone know what the proper torques are for the spark plugs, oil drains and oil strainer ring (just go with the usual 24 ft-lbs)?
    i have the factory shop manual but they dont seem to give much mention of torques.

jkolesa

answer

i guess i found my own answer in "Porsche 911 Performance Handbook"-Anderson

recomended torques are (in ft-lbs):
    oil screen cover nuts................7
    oil drain plugs.....................31
    spark plugs.........................18-21

pwd72s

Re: answer

Some years ago, an article was published in The Esses...can't remember which issue. For what it's worth, here are the numbers taken from a photocopy I placed in my torque wrench case.
    Spark plugs: 18 ft. lbs (216 lb. inch)
    engine & trans drain plugs: 18
    valve covers: 15 (or 180 lb. inch)
    Alloy Wheels: 94

No listing for the oil screen covers, but I'd say 7 sounds about right. I tossed in the others FYI.

Seems to be some differences here...but minor ones, I'd think.

alloy

pwd72s

Re: answer

Forgot to mention..for those of us who have trouble converting foot pounds to Mkg mkp or Nm...a quote from the same photocopy: "Mkg and mkp have the same value. To get lb-ft multiply by 7.23. One Newtonmeter (Nm) = .74 lb.-ft.
    For a low value like 15 lb.-ft., use another wrench measured in lb.-inch. Just multiply the low value by 12."

All this said, does anyone have a preferred brand of torque wrench? I have a snap-on "click" type, 1/2" drive, that only tightens. Probably the most expensive lug wrench in my neighborhood. (Don't use your torque wrench to loosen fasteners...only to tighten. This according to snap-on, warning of damage to the wrench if it's used to loosen fasteners.)

psarmany

torque wrench

I own two Craftsman torque wrenches, one in lbs/ft and the other in lbs/in. They have served their purpose for my applications for a number of years now. About three months I purchased a complete set of tools from Stahlwille after having researched most of the major tool manufacturers. Their customer service was outstanding and, while not triple chrome plated their tools are impeccable and more affordable then some other top name manufacturers. To the point, they make awesome torque wrenches! Brian at Stahlwille helped me out. Pete

pwd72s

Re: torque wrench

Pete...thanks for the tip. I should probably get an inch pounds wrench, but don't care for the snap-on prices (gulp!) and Craftsman catalog doesn't list an inch-pounds wrench, and my nearest Sears doesn't have one on the shelf. I've looked. Never heard of Stahwille tools...do they put out a catalog? A number I can call? Here in rural Oregon, not a lot of tool sources...

jkolesa

wrenches

hey..... want the most expensive wrench in the county?
    griots garage (800-345-5789) sells two beuties:

first up are from facom (they are the supplier to the ferrari f1 team and made the tool kit for the maclaren super car). they have a 3/8" (15-75ft/lbs) for $300 and a 1/2" (30-150ft/lbs) for $260. they both come with a removeable knob that attaches to the head oposite the socket that lets you apply in line preasure and steady the head so you deliver the torque perpendicular to the fastener.

next are ones that griots puts their name on but says are made in england. there are 3 models that range from $150-185. they have a flat back (with no direcion switch sticking out) so you can apply presure to the back of the head with yr hand & they look quite nice. they come with a free lifetime testing and calibration service from griots.

the service is also available for any torque wrench for $25 (they say they will turn it around in a day).

all that said....... i have a "proto". it seems pretty nice; all metal/chrome. im trying to decide if ill buy a new one or send this one in to get calibrated.

pwd72s

Re: wrenches

Already have a good 1/2" drive snap-on for foot pounds, but for those low inch pounds wouldn't a quarter inch drive torque wrench be better? Not Porsche related, but I recently had the need to replace a lawnmower intake manifold. Instructions that came with the part said to torque the little bolts to 22 inch pounds. Porsche oil screencover at 7 foot pounds, other stuff at only 10 to 15 foot pounds. I'd think a quarter inch drive would be more in order than 3/8"...but other than snap-on, haven't seen one offered, especailly a click type. Have to admit, I'm more low ball, price wise, when it comes to tools. Vast majority of my tools are Craftsman. They seem to work. If I ever won the lottery, I'd call the snap-on guy, order everything. Once said this to a local pro mechanic who uses snap on. He replied that he wouldn't call the snap on truck because if he won the lottery he'd never work on a car again. Made sense...different dreams for different folks, right?

jkolesa

wrenches

one of the wrenches that griots puts their name on is a 3/8" 5-45 ft/lb for $150. they claim the release "click" is the same even under low torque settings.

i used to think tools were tools and craftsman was ok cause i dont use the stuff that much and im not a mechanic... until my crafsman sockets rounded over a couple of stuck fasteners (when i was using the correct size socket!).
    the facom sockets have slightly convex faces which grip more of the corner of the fasteneres and deliver much more torque (real handy with an older car). just my 2 cents

psarmany

torque wrenches

pwd72s, I don't want to get in a torque wrench war here! My Craftsman torque wrenches are of the 'click' type and rely on a spring in the adjusting knob to hold a given torque value. Stahlwilles torque wrenches don't rely on this spring to hold the torque value, so if you don't return the wrench to zero after use it's not bad for the tool as it is with the 'click' type. Stahlwille has a website www.stahlwille.com (800 number listed there as well). They make a 3/8" drive 5-35 lbs/ft wrench that lists for $272 (2000 year pricing). I didn't wait to win the lottery to buy my tools and I'm glad I didn't, it's so nice to have good quality tools to use when working on your baby!