Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: '73S Original Dash

'73S Original Dash

I've mentioned this on a few other threads, but rather than hijack someone else thread, thought I'd post one proper.

The dash thats going into my car has a smooth top. I've seen the earlier ones 70-71 with the speaker panel in the middle/right, and I've seen a few '72's with out a panel, but with perforated holes in the dash (speaker mounted underneath). Can anyone tell me what the dash looked like for '73? Was it any different? I don't want to get taken advantage of with a non-correct dash. Also, is there a part # and if so, where would I find it?

Thanks as usual.
    Chris Purpura @civilizedmisfit
    Member #479
    Current Cars:
    1972 911T aka The "Civilized Misfit" Build
    See: https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...vilized-misfit
    Miss February - EarlySRegistry 2023 Calendar
    1968 911S Ossi Blau/Beige Corduroy

Past Cars:
    2019 911 Carrera GTS (sold, no regrets)
    73S - #1100 (restored and now somewhere in Europe)
    1997 993 Carrera 4S Black on Black (sold)

FWIW, the dash in my '73S has the removeable speaker panel. The dash looks original as it has the typical cracks in it.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Without looking at my reference at home, this is how I think it goes Chris…

Not sure when it started but I think ALL early 911's (up to 73') were equipped originally with a dash with a separate speaker insert (that had the holes)

When I first redid my 73'-S back in 1990 my original dash (with speaker insert) needed replaceing and the ONLY available Porsche replacements were a plain dash with NO speaker insert or holes … or a dash with NO speaker insert but with holes where the insert would be.

I vied for the pain dash without holes. It's the dash that's in the car today... and it's wrong...

In about 1994 or so Porsche made available the correct replacement dash with the speaker insert... (when first avilable, they were VERY expensive!)

I believe THAT is the dash you want...

Guys, check my facts… I'm at work and not near my books...
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Maybe I should have mentioned this earlier? I have here a dash restored by www.justdashes.com They did a fabulous job on this once cracked dash. Now we're working on a way to get it to my friend in Istanbul. It took months of waiting, but the final result came out looking very factory, for roughly half the cost of a new one.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Chuck,

Can you point me to a book or resource I can use with my shop? Thanks as usual for the info.
    Chris Purpura @civilizedmisfit
    Member #479
    Current Cars:
    1972 911T aka The "Civilized Misfit" Build
    See: https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...vilized-misfit
    Miss February - EarlySRegistry 2023 Calendar
    1968 911S Ossi Blau/Beige Corduroy

Past Cars:
    2019 911 Carrera GTS (sold, no regrets)
    73S - #1100 (restored and now somewhere in Europe)
    1997 993 Carrera 4S Black on Black (sold)

I'll back up Chuck's "guestimate" dates. I remember being terrified that my dash would develop a crack, knowing that the only replacement (then) was one piece...no speaker insert. yopurp? Further details...not wanting to spend the outrageous price for a new dash with speaker insert, my friend opted to experiment (for all of us) with the company I gave the link to. Delivery to my home took much longer than promised. But the cracked dash that he bought from a parted-out '71 came back looking GREAT. I mean, GREAT! I doubt a PCA concours judge would know that it was a "repaired" dash, since the method of repair used is essentially the same as was used to make the dash in the first place. "Just dashes" did insist that the speaker grille be included for the repair. Evidently, they also recover it, then replicate the holes on a drill press. Comparing this "repaired dash" to my own original dash pad? I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference! Just offering food for thought here, but if you can buy an original dash that isn't cracked badly...it's a good option, IMHO.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Chris,

I just got an old OEM dash and didn't see any part numbers.

I saw someone selling an under dash speaker housing that looked pretty low key, forgot where I saw them but they were $$$. May be a good alternative to door speakers if you choose to keep your plain dash though.

Chuck, are you saying that all 911s up to 73 came with the separate speaker grille dash? And that all other dashes (punch perf and plain) are replacements??

Even radio delete cars??
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Jared,

This is what I found...

In my 73' factory parts book the ONLY reference to the dash is:

'Dashboard Lining' - 911.552.031.00 for right hand cars and 911.552.032.00 for left hand and Targas - both have separate inserts ... 911.552.048.00 is the # for 'Cover for loud speaker' (insert)

I also have reference for a speaker insert back to 1969.

I try be be as careful as I can answering these questions, so ... as far back as I have reference to an insert is 69' ... And, in my 73' parts book if there was an alternative to the dash with the insert it usually would be listed if not illustrated on the same page.

So far I can not find any reference to a 'radio delete dash cover' without an insert.

I am sure they're are people on this message board that can probably be more definitive then that... sorry, got to get some sleep...

Cheers,

Hang on, hang on...
    Stopped by 'the books' on my way to bed...

Brett Johnson (agreed, not always the best reference) covers it on page 46.

From inception to 1967 - One piece dash with perforations (no insert)
    1968 - one year only - Two piece dash with perforations (no insert)
    1969 - 1973 - One piece dash with separate speaker grill (insert)

Johnson says nothing about radio delete 'holeless' dashes...

You all know this ain't the LAST WORD ...

Good night,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Hmmm....

I've got a 69e with a one piece dash, with perforations....but it is an early 69, 0024 to be exact.

Downside is that I've gotten my Frankfurt to work (sounds like a personal problem) but can't get to the speaker to hook it up!

If you look in the Carrera RS book, you will see that all of the RST's have the detachable speaker grill (even the safari RS !)

I have just replaced my dash with the porsche remanufactured dash - at over $1,000. What I would say is that even that is not exactly the same as the original. The original had a detachable speaker grill with perforations describing a rectangle. The replacement has perforations describing a rectangle but with the outer 6 or 3 perforations on each of the four corners missing.

If you are after total concours originality I would look at a resto job on existing dash. If you are looking for a new dash, save $600 and buy the dash with the speaker perforations (non detachable speaker grill).

Just my 1D (thats .02 in old money)

Mike
    To ask is to seek denial