Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite Wheel?

What's your favorite Wheel?

I am considering getting a replacement steering wheel for my 73E, mainly because I think that the horn ring on the standard setup looks klunky. My wrench has a Prototipo wheel that he will sell me, and I like the look of it. But I haven't handled any of them, and I am wondering what your favorites are. Here is a pic of the wheel that he has for me.

larry
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

That's a keeper, Larry. The stock wheel is too big anyway.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

It was put back into production for a reason. It's the perfect size and grip in my opinion and it is period correct. My first Porsche was a 67' and it had a prototipo. I loved it. About four years ago I contacted Momo about getting one and they said no can do,out of production, well I guess they changed their minds.
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Until they make one of those "spinner" wheels as a steering wheel...

go with the prototipo.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

My car has never had a stock wheel since I've owned it.

I bought it with a period RaceMark/Raid - Mark Donahue wheel that felt good but was pretty fried...

I restored the car a year later and replaced the RaceMark with a new Personal/Fittipaldi anatomic racing wheel... It took me over a month to get used to the grip, after awhile it was OK but never looked right in the old 73'.

A couple of years ago I came across a period Nardi black leather / black face/ slot spoked wheel for $15.00. I restored it and made it sliver faced, redyed and shined the leather ... and love it to death ...

But wait!.... I was just given a period correct RaceMark/Raid wheel in REALLY good shape... only had to spend about 2 hours on it, and it looks GREAT!

Right now the 'new' RaceMark is displayed next to the 'old' Fittipaldi and Nardi is in the car... I'll probably try the RaceMark when the engine gets done.

I love the old 14" / 35cm period racing wheels for our old cars, they just look right ... Prototipo, Nardi, RaceMark.... they're all good.

Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Gburner
    Compared to the ealry 70's Prototipo I understand some changes were made to the current run of Prototipo wheels. I was told one change to the new Prototipo is that the on 70s version the spoke at 6 o'clock was actually covered in the same fashion as the the spokes at 10 and 2 o'clock.

Is that the only change?
    I have the new Prototipo and enjoy racing with it.
    A couple months ago Pelican parts had them for $200.

No Change that I know of

GBurner:

I saw a NOS Prototipo wheel on Ebay and contacted the seller. he wanted $239 for it without the hub and horn button. But the wheel was identical to the one that I am buying. Except that it is new. Here is a picture of it, with the box.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Originally posted by Chuck Miller
    I love the old 14" / 35cm period racing wheels for our old cars, they just look right ... Prototipo, Nardi, RaceMark.... they're all good.

Chuck:

My wrench has all three in excellent condition. The primary difference that I see is the price. The Nardi (with the slits instead of the circles) is $100 more than the Prototipo, the RaceMark is $100 less (and looks very much like the Prototipo with the circles, and the spoke at 6:00 covered in leather like the 10:00 and 2:00 spokes on the Prototipo.) Gburner, that might be the wheel that you saw.

He said that the Nardi is rarer, so hence the higher price. I don't have a need to spend the exxtra bucks on that one (though I think that the slits are cool, it isn't worth $100), but the Prototipo and the Racemark look nearly alike. Is the Prototipo just a higher quality wheel, or is it the name and the panache that make it more expensive?

Oh, what to do?? Based on the comments, the Prototipo seems to be the wheel of choice.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Ya know Larry,
    If the Nardi or RaceMark were the wheels du-jour I'd probably go with the Pototipo ...I guess I always like to be a little different....

AND.... with the prices of these wheels, OPPORTUNITY has allot to do with it. It's amazing how good a $15.00 wheel looks in your car

Ya-know-what-I-mean????
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Prototipo's are cool....

But I have a MOMO Monte Carlo on my 911... not as trendy for most guys as the Prototipo, ...but It suite's me just fine and has not inhibited me on the track so far.....
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335