Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: your opinions are welcomed

joelrkaplan

your opinions are welcomed

after having a new prototipo on car x 1 month, I am feeling it might be too small...car would feel better w/ a 14 incher for mainly street time....have any of you had the oe wheel professionaly re done and made to have a thicker grip?....several have mentioned a smaller oe wheel exists...from a 914?....cost for re done wheel is reasonable but I would still have a large diam wheel?!*?....any thoughts?..thnx( I can't stop thinking about this car...think I've got the disease...)

I'm a weirdo who still prefers the larger diameter wheel...I think I read somewhere that the 914-6 wheel and the RS wheel were the same, smaller than the 911 wheel, but I could be off on this. Thicker? There was a post on Pelican not long ago, somebody who had two layers of leather done for a thicker grip. He was pleased with the results...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Joel:

Interesting that you should say that. Someone suggested the same thing to me. I like the look of the Prototipo, and was buying one from my wrench to put on the car he is doing for me. But I was just told that a larger wheel makes it easier to drive in regular traffic.

I haven't had any experience with either wheel, so your comment is meaningful to me. You are saying that you are having to put a bit too much muscle into putting the car through its paces?

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

There is also the issue of the heavier weight of the stock steering wheel effecting the steering feel. I was surprised by how much additional steering effort was needed with a smaller diameter and lighter wheel mounted. Not only does the smaller diameter offer less purchase when turning, but the heavier weight of the stock wheel seems to add an "inertial" effect due to it's greater mass which smooths out the jerks feeding back thru the wheel from the front tires as you go over bumps and grooves in the surface. It is much less tiring to drive long distances on rough roads with the stock wheel.

The other issue of gauge visibility being blocked with a smaller wheel can largely be mitigated by moving the wheel closer to the driver with a spacer and rotating the gauges so that the important ranges are visible without cocking your head constantly.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

joelrkaplan

wheel

First let me say that after spending 4 yrs on mz3.net due to my love for my BMW Z3 coupe , I never thought I would also fall in love w/ another car..my 70 T , that also has a mb assoc. w/ it!.....this board is awesome and your responses are always right on......true that the smaller momo requires more effort and combined w/ getting more familiar w/ car and driving it harder the old style seats offer minimal support as well, so my body is fighting me alot...and gauges are blocked but that can be fixed as noted........as George said, I also think 360 or 365 mm is a tad too small( for a non all out race machine)...380 mm sounds about right....I will look into this more and consider selling proto....George, are all 914 wheels smaller than early 911 or is it only the 914-6 wheel?

Greetings all,

Just to clarify what George has stated. The RS wheel is a 914 wheel BUT it also is a 914-6 wheel. The 914/4 wheel is different and will not work without modification if at all. I beleive the 380 mm wheel was also offered as optional on some S cars as well. I bought one out of an old S that was parted. The 380 mm wheel was also used in the ST and earlier factory Rallye cars with the small horn button and with the double layer of leather. As many know the Factory also did use the Prototipo on the 911 too.

Otherwise, I think a steering wheel is personal preferance. I love the Prototipo. I feel it is easier to drive fast with the smaller wheel. To me the car is less stable with the bigger wheel and harder to drive especially if you suspension is set stiff.

Best,

Don

P.S. Gearge, Do you do the double leather wheel for customers? If so could you post a picture of one. I would like to have one done. Thanks.

George,

One last.. My RS # 93 has the plastic frame for the hornpad (and lucky it is perfect!). Are you saying this was an RS only feature?
    I just thought the earlier ones had the metal frames the later cars plastic. If the plastic frame is an RS feature I learned something new today. Thanks.

Best,

Don

Don,

On page 115 in the 'Carrera RS' book talking about Model Changes: Feb. 6, 1973 Horn button from normal 911 types installed (Carrera button proves fragile).
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Originally posted by ttweed

The other issue of gauge visibility being blocked with a smaller wheel can largely be mitigated by moving the wheel closer to the driver with a spacer
    TT
    Wait.. I thought moving the wheel AWAY from the driver would show more of the gauges, especially if the driver is tall?

Sprint.

Originally posted by SprintStar
    Wait.. I thought moving the wheel AWAY from the driver would show more of the gauges, especially if the driver is tall?
    I'm 6'3" and that's not how it worked for me. I think you're forgetting about the inclination of the steering column. By moving the wheel closer it also raises it- the upper rim of the wheel that formerly obstructed the tach and oil pressure gauges moved higher in my line of sight, thus exposing the critical gauges better.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!