Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: '67 911R clone?

'67 911R clone?

Of course, RS clones (replicas?) are somewhat common, and not too hard to achieve, at least from an exterior appearance standpoint. But has anyone done a clone of a '67 911R? Even if you are going for appearance only, without the correct engine, mechanicals, or light body panels, it seems it would be hard to do. You would need the slotted plexiglass side windows, the oil filler positioned similar to the '72 911, and the middle-of-the-hood gas filler tube. So, anyone out there ever tackle these issues?

I think this would be a very cool clone to have. After all, who could afford one of the 22 or 23 original ones, even if one was available? I'm not Jerry Seinfeld.
    Charlie
    '66 912
    '50 VW Bug
    '89 VW syncro Tristar Doka
    '83 VW Westfalia

Sure Charlie,

When you go out to the vintage race events ( VARA, HSR, etc...) you almost always see a coulple of 911-R clones... a few of them pretty damn close...

Can't remember seeing any R-clones on the street ...

Holiday cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Originally posted by Chuck Miller
    When you go out to the vintage race events ( VARA, HSR, etc...) you almost always see a coulple of 911-R clones... a few of them pretty damn close...
    When I took the VARA racing school back in '98 there were a couple of cool 911R-look cars I snapped pics of and put on my website here.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

FWIW: Cole Scrogham of G&W Motorsports is building what I understand to be an awesome 67R replica. I've seen some of the pictures of the work and if the finished product is anything like I'm accustomed to in Coles' work it will be an outstanding and flawless exercise.
    It is white and does sport a full cage. I'll try to get some pictures of it posted. I suspect it will be for sale when complete and while it will not be cheap for the quality and expertise of work there is no way you could replicate it on you own for 2x the money.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

911R project

Charlie,
    I make the handles, all the other parts are easy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry

Some years back, Gary Emory built an R clone for a customer (don't remember the customer's name) It's painted slate gray, and seen often at west coast historic race events...I'm with Chuck, don't think I've seen any on the street. Though I'm sure it's only a matter of time.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I bought a pair of Ernie's reproduction door handles. The quality and price are excellent! I am building a 911R type car, but it's a couple projects down the road.

here are the 2 R replicas from emory:

http://www.partsobsolete.com/outlaws.htm

for whatever reason, you can no longer click on the pics to show additional pics. both car are real nice.

ernie's door handles are great. excellent quality with perfect attention to detail. i have them on my car.

aesthetically speaking - i suspect the reason you don't see more R replicas is that IMO, they are more expensive to replicate - properly. i decided to go the route of replicating the factory lightweight car even though i had intended to have quite a few R "touches". too much $$$ to do it right.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

my compromise...
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Bob,

Thats a great looking car. The script looks awesome. Are you running the 2.0 motor?

R Gruppe #259

73S 2.7RS Spec Sporto
    87 951 (Under repair)