Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spark plug socket...tool junkie alert!

Spark plug socket...tool junkie alert!

In an earlier thread I suggested using a snap-on 4" extension, and a CRAFTSMAN 13/16" socket as a substitute for the NLA new KLEIN 21 that comes in our factory tool kits. I just discovered (and bought) a spark plug socket that may be a better alternative. Length is adjustable, and it's middle setting is just a smidgeon longer than the factory kit tool. It's drive end accepts any 3/8" drive tool. I'd suggest a short ratchet, either stubby or the standard cheapy Craftsman would work. here's a link to the pic. Samstag sales had it to my door via priority mail in a few days. The only downside may be the cost...almost $45 by the time it got here. But I don't lose tools often. This one added a bit more weight to my road kit tool roll.

http://www.samstagsales.com/images/hz2505-2.jpg
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Paul I just use a Craftsman swivel sparkplug socket with rubber insert and the locking extension. Works perfectly and makes pulling thos suckers very easy.
    Chris
    70 911E
    FA-18C
    R Gruppe #295

Craftsman makes a 4" locking extension?
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Yep, that's what I use, with the swivel plu socket. David Loop In Monterey put me onto em when I saw his very well used tool he had in his shop.
    Chris
    70 911E
    FA-18C
    R Gruppe #295

Wow! I was told at the local Sears tool department that they didn't make 4" extensions...period. Thanks for the tip. Now that I paid too much for this tool? Hell, I'll just use it...but your set-up sounds great.

Paul the actual extension is 3", but the swivel attachment adds the additional inch for a perfect fit. It has a length and feel so that you are close to the valve cover for fine tuning, but not out in free space baning around. FYI, here are the craftsman numbers on the parts:
    3" locking adapter-44356
    13/16" spark plug swivel socket - 43323

The whole thing together is a whopping 5 3/4"

I think another way to go is get a 4" adapter and have someone tack it with the Mig welder. I do like the swivel socket though.

Return the fancy schmancy one and head over to Sears!
    Chris
    70 911E
    FA-18C
    R Gruppe #295

Good advice...but this tool junkie never returns tools...just buys MORE

Good point, guess that's why I like hearing of new toys. Need to get a Gunson gas tester next.
    Chris
    70 911E
    FA-18C
    R Gruppe #295

I like my Hazet 880 Mgt magnetic spark plug socket. Porsche mechanic friend gave it to as a gift although I probably paid for it in the long run.

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

This is the Craftsman swivel-socket with the 3" locking extension. Works really well. There is a rubber insert that holds the plug with just the right amount of pressure. Not expensive.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183