Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: porsche books

porsche books

Taking a survey:
    what are the most important Porsche books in your libray and/or which Porsche books do you think are worth having/buying?
    (excluding workshop manual)

Great question. I have over 200 books on Porsche in my collection. I think the original Excellence Was Expected is probably the most important (and the second edition is indispensible), and Liebe zu Ihm is probably the most valuable. All of the factory or factory-authorized books are worthwhile (Tribute to the Turbo Carrera, the factory 959 book, etc). A few years ago I stopped buying the typical "remainder bin" picture books. They just aren't worth the shelf space they occupy. I recently bought Barth's 904 book (in German, but informative and fascinating nonetheless) and Starkey's R-GT3 book.

Jack
    1972 911S- viper green
    1970 914/6- tangerine
    1967 Ferrari 330GTC- oro chiaro

I would have to say that so far....my recently aquired new copy's of John Starkey's:

Porsche 911 R-RS-RSR *4th Edition*

From R to GT3R

well, at least those are personal fav's.....
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

Thumbs up porsche book

101 projects for your Porsche . Very helpfull for me anyway....

Francois Duval

1)The Porsche Book
    2)Excellence Was Expected
    3)911 Performance Handbook 2nd edition
    4)Carrera RS
    5)I can't remember the name of it, but it was the book written write after the 1998 Monterey Historics - I think it's called Porsche Racing Cars ... anyway, it's very helpful on the racecar side of things albeit not a definitive listing by any means.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Paul Frere's "Porsche 911 Story."
    P.S. #5 from the previous post sounds like "Porsche Racing Milestones."
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

books

The Porsche Book, a definitive illustrated history, by Lothar Boschen and Jurgen Barth. (Out of print) 548 pages, forward by Ferry Porsche. It includes lists of yearly productions models, body types with quantities, corresponding serial numbers, engine numbers, source of production Karmann/Porsche etc. and footnotes. Production and race cars. Covers 356 thru 936-81 (Turbo Indy car)

Porsche 911 Forever Young, Tobias Aichele.

Get a list of books from Bill Blocks Books- the Fanatics Choice
    blocklab@aol.com
    He has a 356 bent but also has good prices on 911 books.

Gburner
    My favorite Porsche books…
    Drive to win by Carroll Smith
    Going Faster by The Skip Barber Racing School
    I frequently return to either of these books as a resource for performance driving and car set up tips.
    These books have helped me reach closer to the potential of my 911.
    To me they are the owner’s manual on how to operate a 911.
    I have other Porsche driving/racing books I have read but these two have shaved seconds off my 911 lap times.

Dr. Brett Johnsons...911 and 912 Restoration Guide.....
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism

Anon?. 2000. Porsche, The Essence of Performance.
    Adler, Dennis. PORSCHE 911 ROAD CARS. 1998. MBI Publishers. –
    Clausager, Anders Ditlev. 1998. PORSCHE - THE COMPLETE HISTORY OF THE MARQUE. Gallery Books. – photos and some history; numerous errors
    Anderson, Bruce. PORSCHE 911 PERFORMANCE HANDBOOK – the bible; may need to update some info from his Excellence and Pano articles
    Batchelor, Dean. ILLUSTRATED PORSCHE BUYERS GUIDE, 4TH ED. – updated by R. Leffingwell -- not very useful
    Boschen, Lothar and Jurgen Barth. THE PORSCHE BOOK: A DEFINITIVE ILLUSTRATED HISTORY. 1978. Argo Books. lots of text and pictures with a lot of very informative info
    Dempsey, Wayne R. 2003. How to Rebuild and Modify Porsche 911 Engines 1966-1989. – xlnt photos & clear text
    Reisser, Sylvain. PORSCHE. Motorbooks Intl. – modern pretty picture book; concentrates on race cars

Gruber, by Dr. Thomas and Dr. Georg Konradsheim. 1992. CARRERA RS. Hdbd., in slipcase, 10 1/2x 12, 255 pgs., 122 black – white illustrations.
    Harvey, Chris. GREAT MARQUES – PORSCHE – picture book with superficial text
    Lentinello, Richard A. 2000. AUTO FOCUS: PORSCHE 911 – pretty photos and not much else
    Ludvigsen, Karl. EXCELLENCE WAS EXPECTED. – have read to p. 350??
    Meredith, Lawrence PORSCHE 911 – MODEL BY MODEL. –
    Morgan, PETER. 1998. ORIGINAL PORSCHE 911,. – good photos and good text
    Paternie, Patrick C. PORSCHE 911 RED BOOK
    Porter, Lindsay and Peter Morgan, PORSCHE 911 GUIDE TO PURCHASE AND DO IT YOURSELF RESTORATION, Foulis Motoring Books -
    Post, Dan. PORSCHE OWNERS COMPANION – rust prone areas, theft protection, how to park…
    Prew, Clive. 1989. PORSCHE. - has some info on yearly models.
    Leffingwell, Randy. PORSCHE 911 BUYER’S GUIDE. MBI Publishers. – highly repetitive and with several errors.
    Starky, John. PORSCHE 911R, RS & RSR – not very in depth
    Von Frankenberg, Richard. 1969. PORSCHE : THE MAN AND HIS CARS
    Zimmerman, Peter. USED 911 STORY – typical trouble spots, section on each model year
    Seif, Ingo. 1985. Porsche: Portrait of a Legend. Gallery Books, New York, NY. – may be best of the pretty picture books; has essays by various notables