Thread: Run out of gas? Don't do this!

www.spyderautomobiles.com .au

Run out of gas? Don't do this!

Lying in bed this morning listening to the early news I come out of my half-asleep stupor with a start wondering if I'm dreaming...

Apparently a self-reliant woman ran out of gas in the wee hours of the morning (2.00am or so). She gets out her trusty jerry can (see it's not only boy scouts who are prepared)...and proceeds to attempt to fill up her tank. Well it's dark and she can't see a thing and she doesn't want to spill fuel everywhere so she pulls out her lighter...both she and her car have some grave injuries...how stupid can one be I ask?
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

www.spyderautomobiles.com.au

Lisa...now the poor gal has a really good reason to quit smoking! Also, she should have carried one of these:
    http://www.9voltlight.com/

Blatent plug time. I bought one of these LED flashlights and they are absolutely amazing. Actually, I bought 2...sent the other one to a friend.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Paul,

That's a great little thing (yes I did follow the link and have a peek)...looks like it throws a fair bit of light too.

How are you anyway?...I've missed our banter !

Cheers,
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

Doing fine, Lisa...just running out of stuff to say? Naw...can't be! An amazing story behind those little 9 V lights. Yes, for the size, they do put out an amazing amount of light. I can walk around after dark with only this little light, have no problem seeing where I'm going. It throws good light for 15-20 feet in front of you. The amazing part...the inventor was 15 years old when he came up with the idea. His older brother, then 17, was going to hike the skyline (Pacific Crest) trail. Yes, ALL of it...from The USA/Mexico border to the USA/Canada border. It's the USA version of a walkabout for rugged individual types. The prototype used a film cannister, a cell phone battery, and a single LED. By the time the older brother had gone through half of California, the final design was in place. Then, as a home schooling assignment for his junior year in High School, the inventor went through the legal paperwork required to apply for, and get, a USA patent for the light. Oh, the older brother made it...the entire trail. To have done so is a badge of honor in the backpacking world. Hey, maybe the OZ distributorship for these lights is still open? Every fellow gadget phreak I've shown mine to, goes bonkers...
    Cindy & I took the old beater for a nice run yesterday...over back roads only the locals here know of, roads with plenty of twisties & little traffic. I think you & yours would have enjoyed it...we took a break in the middle of the run at an uncrowded local park that features several nice waterfalls...
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

hey Paul...here you and I go again off the topic, but who gives a ****...we're in "off-topic" anyway !

Fascinating story about the little light...I haven't seen them downunder - I should do some more research on this I think!

Glad you and Cindy went out for a great drive...betcha your weather was better than ours on Sunday - very wintery here (OK no snow where we were but not far away). Wind was howling straight off the South Pole and we got our fair share of rain which always makes a TYP901 run interesting...especially when Mike and I planned a route using roads signed "caution high motorbike risk area" . Didn't dampen anyone's spirits though - we all had a great time! Had lunch at an old mate's little winery in the Yarra Valley, which is now 'boutique winery central' about an hour out of Melbourne. Lined up 20 or so cars outside his tasting room; the kids ran riot in his playground - all round a terrific day.

Cheers,
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

Lisa, I need to click on off topic more often. The "whinery tour" sounded great. These are popular events in Oregon & Northern California as well...as
    you said "botique" stuff. Brave of you to venture out in the winter rain. Hang in, soon enough it will be your summer, and you can post pics that will make us cry with weather envy.