Thread: Wingfield Handbuilt Models

Wingfield Handbuilt Models

Not sure if any of you are familiar with Peter Wingfield of Clearwater Florida. He's one of the best model builders around. He does mainly handbuilt 1:43 scale stuff ranging from $250 to $1000+. I once waited 2.5 years for a 917-10 L&M CanAm car with engine detail and lift off body panels. Similar stories are commonplace. Apparently, one collector had enough and wound up on People's Court with him!

http://www.miniwerks.com/thread.aspx?id=208

Cool

I built several high-end scale Porsche cars for Peter about 10 years ago. Some I got paid for, some I did not. I also provided him with research services and materials including my photos taken at the Road America Can-Am Historics, Watkins Glen Porsche 50th Aniversary (50/50), and the Lime Rock Historics (Vintage Fall Festival). He still owes me.

The guy's a slacker and a loser.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Wow, Jens! Are you still building?

Not so much lately, but I will again. I collect more than build these days; N scale and smaller, 1/87, HO, 1/64, 1/43, 1/32, 1/24, 1/20, 1/18, 1/16, 1/12, 1/8...and everything in between. Every car has the motor behind the driver where it belongs. I'll dig out some pictures of some of my builds. I got pretty serious, but then it's been a great way to study design. I started in the 50's.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

"I got pretty serious ..."

I'd say, if you were building for Peter! I never had a reason to think about 1:87 until I recently ran across High Tech Modell company from Germany. Holy crap! Unreal detail for that scale (well, with prices to match too - most are 100-150 Euros). Here's a few:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Angry

Add me to the list of people that have problems with Peter. A few years back I sent him 3 43rd scale IMSA kits paying him 1/2 up front. He promised something like 8 weeks to build. After a few months and no models I heard from him saying they were done and he was ready for the other 1/2 of the money. Stupid me, I sent it on to him and he promptly left for a vacation. Still no models arrived. Months later I finally got him to just send me the kits back, still unfinished!! The kits were worth more than the money I lost, I was just glad to get them back before he sold them out from under me or something.

Dennis Kobeler from Texas has built a few kits for me in the past, does a fantastic job and is a nice, straightforward guy to deal with.

Jens, if you get back into I've have a small group of unbuilt GTP cars I'd love to get finished. Knowing your eye for quality, I'll bet you'd be a good one to build them up for me.
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

models? Ruf CTR model? And a related tale........

You never know..and please forgive me as this is NOT early S related, except in concept.

I would love to find a good model of the original Ruf CTR. I know there is a model out there. It must be original and proper Yellowbird Yellow, just like Aloi's personal car.
    ??? Anyone?

BTW, it was seeing that beast at Escape that did it to me all over again. I am the worst CTR fanatic and have plotted for literally decades on how to LEGALLY own and drive one here in California. The short answer to this is NO way. sigh.

Related, my brother Lee was the LUCKY winner of the drawing for a ridge with Herr Ruf in his personal CTR. It was late in the day. Herr Ruf had been been out in the sun all day and was rather tired. Lee told him it was not necessary to vividly demonstrate the performance of this car..... The response was a BIG smile and a BIG VIOLENT BLAST IN THE BACK. Not "Wheelspin in 2nd, 3rd, 4th... more like HOW MUCH WHEELSPIN DO YOU WANT?!". Lee did a nice write up on it for next month's PCA-OCR "Pandemonium". The basic is that if you ever get a ride in Herr Ruf's personal CTR you WILL get a RIDE in the CTR, and you will NOT forget it!

On the way to Escape a couple of times I used some boost to slip away from offensive traffic. Lee gave me a hard time about driving agressively [Which I really didn't think I was doing]. After Lee's ride he was all over my tail and driving VERY agressively. Of course the big poo admitted that perhaps I was not being so agressive earlier and he had kinda forgotten what it was like to enjoy using these things!

thanks for putting up with this and I would love to hear from anyone who might be tired of their Ruf CTR model.
    :->

JR
    When we left

I thought some of you collectors might be interested in my old (now defunct) diecast news website from a few years back. It was the largest of it's kind for 1:43 collectors. It started as something fun to do and turned into a monster that consumed more time than I could possibly justify. I had manufacturers, collectors, dealers, etc. contacting me on a daily basis!

Anyway, here's a couple of archived pages from the site:

http://web.archive.org/web/199909220...m/mi/allishan/

http://web.archive.org/web/200201020...shan/rare.html