Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hazards of running 3 qts low

Hazards of running 3 qts low

After the go-box was reinstalled in the car after paint, I took two idiot pills and didn't check the oil level was properly filled by the shop. I did a 250+ mile run with local PCA hooligans banging the rev limiter pretty regularly. When home, I left the engine running to see the oil level to discover it took almost 3 quarts to bring the level half way between Full and Add! The car was running at 1500 RPM when checked. The car holds about 12 quarts with a trombone. The oil temps always stayed around 120 with good pressure. What potential wear related harm could have been done?
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

!

Rick.....

I need to calm down before I answer your question.....

"around 120 with good pressure"

- probably no damage

Quote Originally Posted by RandyWebb
    "around 120 with good pressure"

- probably no damage
    Celsius or Farenheit???

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

You did no damage to your engine. The sump pick up never went dry.

Rick is right, I always run my car at the minimum oil level, never up to the line, the crankcase always has a tendency to blow extra oil out the breather. I think I would guess mine are about 2 quarts from the top of the line at all times, I run them at the lowest line and obviously they go a little lower. Every car is different, you have to verify how much is too much by looking at the breather drain on the back of the motor and you will figure out where you car likes to be.

Jeff Smith
    Schmidt Foreign

Some people have told me I'm a quart low, and my car had nothing to do with it!
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

Thumbs up

One other thing to consider when deciding what oil level to run with.
    Since Porsche engines are oil cooled, the more oil that is running thru the engine, the more liquid is being used to help circulate and dissipate the heat from the moving parts. Since I have a 2.0S engine, overheating was less of a factor (remember, the Porsche Factory didn't start installing oil coolers until the 1970 911S). Nonetheless, I try to keep my engine oil level at just below maximum.

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by gruen911
    Remember, the Porsche Factory didn't start installing oil coolers until the 1970 911S.
    Actually, they started with the 1969 2.0 liter S models.

Rick, glad to hear you didn't do any damage. I assume this was the Leavenworth weekend run?

Brooke
    Brooke
    1969 911 ST w/ 2.8SS
    1973 911 RS tribute with 3.3 turbo
    1970 914-6 w/ 2.2S (sold)
    1972 BMW M2 (sold)
    R Gruppe #338
    S Reg # 855