Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What weight oil for 1969 911S

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!

What weight oil for 1969 911S

What weight oil is best for an early 911S? Peter Morgan recommends 15w-40. Someone else told me 20w-50 is best. What would you guys out there recommend?

don

20-50 at least for Southern California
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by dhopkins
    What weight oil is best for an early 911S? Peter Morgan recommends 15w-40. Someone else told me 20w-50 is best. What would you guys out there recommend?

don
    Don:

If you synthetic oil, use 15w-50. If you use dino oil, use 20w-50.

If you use dino oil and are going to operate the car in cold weather (<40 deg F), use a 15w-40 or 10w-40.

Hope this helps,
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!
    Steve,
    Thanks. What is dino oil? Will heavier oil lessen the likelihood of oil leaks?

don

Wink

Dino-saur as in dead dinosaur (fossil) oil...

Quote Originally Posted by dhopkins
    Steve,
    Thanks. What is dino oil? Will heavier oil lessen the likelihood of oil leaks?
    Non-synthetic oils,.... The good 'ol stuff we've used for years.

Oil viscosity has little to do with leaks aside from VERY thin oils can wick themselves out of places you'd never believe.

Air-cooled engines have running temperatures that are hotter than their water-cooled brethern so they need the thicker stuff for when you really lean on the engine.

Remember, the oil temp sensor only samples the temperature at one point in the engine; there ARE hotter spots.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

I always use 20-50. Seems to work well.
    Tom

Which oil

i faced the same problem having rebuilt my 2.2S engine
    be aware that a lot of folklore surrounds this issue
    in the end i opted for fully synthetic Shell 5W-40
    it is true that syn oils will tend to find their way through old gaskets, however i wasnt faced with this problem as they are all new on my car
    an early post states that the air-cooled cars run hotter than water cooled, which is true however, it doesnt mean you shouldnt use a fully synthetic oil
    it simply means you should be looking for the second rating number to be as high as possible
    to me common sense suggests that you should use the most advanced oil you can get your hands on (assuming you have no issue with old gaskets)
    btw - i understand that syn. oil doesnt cause gaskets to 'shrink' per se, but rather mineral oil causes the gaskets to swell. when you put in syn. oil the gasket simply returns to its orig size, which yes, can cause oil leaks
    but until someone can explain in scientific terms why an old car needs an old oil i really cant accept such an argument
    syn oils are thinner on start-up, and therefore get pumped around a cold engine much quicker than a more viscous mineral oil reduing metal-on-metal time.
    then at high temp they maintain their viscosity much better than a mineral oil, which lose their viscosity and become so thin that they are unable to protect the engine
    put simply, a mineral oil cannot protect your engine over anything like as wide a temperature range as a syn oil
    leaks are the only negative you might suffer
    some may say also say price, but in my view if you can afford to run a car you can afford to use decent oil

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    I'm sure there are winter days in places where you have real winters where it takes forever to get an early 911 up to proper running temp so perhaps a synth oil may be valuable at start up. But for severe outdoor temperature swings like we have in So Cal (Like the June day I left my house at 5:00 AM in 55 degree weather and found myself running my third 20 minute run session at Streets of Willow in 110 degree heat nine hours later ) 20W50 provides 100% protection for my early 911.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

Oh well if you need a 50 weight oil for the hotter weather why not try the following, which according to the Exxon-Mobil website is sold in the US:

Mobil 1
    Extended Performance
    15W-50

This gives you the best of both worlds. Recognising that an air cooled engine generates a much wider range of operating temps that a water cooled engine, i think fully synthetic is the better choice. As mentioned earlier, it does assume that your engine is in good mechnical condition - i.e. good compression & no heavy leakage around gaskets/seals.