Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Difference: Conda vs Viper Green ??

Difference: Conda vs Viper Green ??

My 70S is getting its new paint. The painter has not been able to find a true Conda green. Quality/ resolution of photos posted notwithstanding; anyone have pix of the two side by side? which one is lighter? more yellow? more black?
    thanks!
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2
    70 911 "Speedster" project
    "74 IROC" tribute Jade Green RSR

Conda green is darker than Viper green. Conda is somehwere between irish green and viper green. I personally love conda green, but went with irish green because conda green was introduced after the SWB years, and I wanted to stay period correct to 1967.
    If you really want to see the two colors side by side, contact Albert Kemperle who have stores around the USA and act as a distributer for Glasurit paint (Glasurit is now owned by BASF out of Ohio), and have them mix up a pint of each and send it to you. Glasurit is expensive so rather than actually use the Glasurit to mix the samples have them use their lower end stuff. The color quality will be the same, but the paint quality itself is not important for just making a comparison. A hjalf pint of the cheap stuff will run you maybe $10-15. each. A pint of Glasurit will run $50+.
    Tre, Shawn has a conda loud conda green 71T. Perhaps he can post a few pictures for you. You can compare those pic's to Larry's Viper 73E. in order to compare the difference. Both are great colors - along with irish green of course.

thank you - will try that
    appreciate the info
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2

Damned if I could ever tell the difference...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Tre:

Color photos notwithstanding, I was at Taj this summer, and some "knowitall" walked up to me and said "hey, that's an unusual color. You don't see too many of those Jade Green cars around." Huh?

Randy Stenson has a Conda Green coupe, and I was trying to convince him to bring it along for our ride this weekend, so that we could get pictures of the two side by side. Not sure if he is going to bring the Conda Green car or something else.

But, that being said, he said that he wasn't sure if this car was truly Conda Green. Back to the "what is that color truly" question.

I had Kevin Mentzner from Automotive Innovations (KevinP73 from Pelican) paint up a smuggler's box cover for me, and asked him if it was really Viper Green (based on the Jade Green comment). He said that he didn't judge colors, he just painted them based on the color code he was given. Maybe that is the wisest advice yet.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Larry,
    Good point about the codes. The paint color speaks for itself. Make sure before judging what you like that you spray it over a large enough surface, and have it buffed out and clear coated. I had started to think going with irish green was wrong until I saw the final product. It was love.
    Also, the codes have changed from the origina mixes somewhat because paints back in the 60's-70's had lead in them. lead no longer exists in paint - Glasurit or any other car paint.

okay my query has been satisfied- the body shop brought over my conda green hood hinge yesterday and we compared it to a viper car here. The conda is darker and does not "pop" in the sun like the much yellower Viper. As my car was originally conda, so it will stay.
    Thanks guys!
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2

Tre,
    Wise choice. Conda is the road less travelled, but it is a fantastic color.
    Let's see if we can find a few pic's online of the finished product....

Tre:

Maybe one other question is "single stage" or "clear coat?" I think that clear coats look really nice, but they are out of place on an early car. (Totally personal opinion here.) If you are trying to stay "original" to have the car painted as it was, then you should go with a single stage paint.

Yes it does take more maintenance, it is more susceptible to sun and the elements, but it is also easier to repair and polish out problems.

I had these discussions when we were thinking of how to approach painting Kermit. The decision was to paint in a single stage, since I wanted to be as original as I could. The result means that I need to wax him more often. But it is a labor of love - honestly. The car's small, and spending the time to wax it isn't an issue for me, it is just part of taking care of a piece of history.

larry
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Quote Originally Posted by TRE Cup
    okay my query has been satisfied- the body shop brought over my conda green hood hinge yesterday and we compared it to a viper car here. The conda is darker and does not "pop" in the sun like the much yellower Viper. As my car was originally conda, so it will stay.
    Thanks guys!
    Tre,
    Just one suggestion. The hood hinges on a 70S should be black - not the color of the car. It's one of the first things I look for when someone posts an early car for sale and starts talking up its originality!
    So hand those things back to your painter and tell him to paint them black!