Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Dashboard/ Replacment

Question New Dashboard/ Replacment

I have a '72 911 and would like to buy a new dashboard... where can I get one?

Also, how do remove my old one and install the new one? Thanks.
    Aloha,

Craig "Doc" Goodman

Navy Flyer
    Early 911S Registry #795
    R Gruppe #395
    '72 911 RS Replica "Grandma", 3.3L, notable race history

"Doc"...it's been discussed here before. You might try a search. To R&R your dash, you'll need to pull the windshield. New dashes are $uper $pendy, and a good rebuild is only spendy. My friend in Istanbul used me as a storage/shipping point for his '71 dash that was rebuilt at www.justdashes.com I thought the results were remarkable. Compared it with my original dash, and literally couldn't tell the difference. Also, thank you for your service! Paul
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I've done both. I've got the "Just Dashes" unit in my 73' and a new factory unit for my 71'. The "Just Dashes" unit is just alright in my opinion and doesn't really match. Not worth the $750 bucks they charge. For another $300 bucks you can get a factory unit from Stoddards which looks correct.

I haven't installed my factory dash yet and I've heard that the fit isn't exactly right so I'll reserve final judgement until then.
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

I just had a new factory dash pad installed in my '69 by someone with loads of experience. He was most unimpressed with the fit, particularly since we went with the pricey factory unit. It looks okay now but was a real problem to get all the various holes and plastic pins to line up and stay in place.
    A.T.
    Early 911S Registry Member #500

Your call, captain...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

You wanna no something sad. I know of a rusted out 71' Targa roller that has a nice original dash. I'm seriously considering buying the damn thing just to get the dash. I could probably by the car for what I paid for the new factory unit.

Only one problem. Just because the dash doesn't have a crack in it now doesn't mean it won't get one in the near future.

Paul wanna sell your "old" dash I've got a brand spankin' new one in the box I'll trade you for outright.
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

Just dash's

Thats exactly what I did,,,
    . Except the car was a 69' and the dash was to fit a 70'... the studs wouldnt match either untill you modify a few holes just a bit. Hence, the constant evolution of metal stampings in our cars.
    The biggest problem with the new dash's is the vinyl is too thick and the lip dosn't sit well at the window.. Its to stiff.
    I'd advise someone how's installing a new dash to hold down the lip with black sheetmetal screws as they did in the 73 model year otherwise you'll have a battle installing the window.

Obviously the new dash is a latest or last supercede, but what the hell its supposed to fit is beyond me... the stud's won't even match up to a 74' and that was the last year of this style dashboard.

Regards, R. Gross

Just installed 2 new units. One in the 72 and one in the 73 RS. There are just 2 studs that need to be redrilled other wise it fit fine. Am I lucky?

Don

Sounds about right, Don. The problem I had was that the pad didn't quite fit forward enough for all the plastic studs to line up properly along the front edge. How did yours line up?
    A.T.
    Early 911S Registry Member #500

It all fit fine except fbe redrilled.

Don