Thread: The nut above the starter

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!

The nut above the starter

As I am attempting to remove my 69S engine for the first time I find myself stuck. The nut that holds the engine and tranny together above the starter can not be seen and I can't even get my hand in to feel it b/c its to far back. Yet I have to get a socket on it and unscrew it. Does anybody have any advice on how do it? Where is this nut, 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock where?

If you are leaving the trans, in the the car lower the back of the engine then you can see what you are trying to feel for, from inside the engine compartment. Some have a nut , should have a socket headed nut , like a head nut, but has a step turned in it ,on the end.

Pulling the engine and trans., is easier for the first time. The only thing extra to do is the axle bolts.
    Jeff H.
    72 911
    914-6 GT

Yes, lowering the engine will give you access to the nut/bolt. This is one of the reasons I remove both...you will want to remove the transmission before reassembly anyway. They come out nicely together, although it has been discussed that just the engine is a bit quicker (but not by too much) and I would say for the first timer, take them out as a unit.

Take out the reverse switch wires, clutch cable (count the threads or measure with a dial caliper so you know when to reinstall), and the 12 axel bolts and it'll all come down. Piece of cake then.
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!
    Can the clutch cable be dissconnected by removing a pin or do you need to unscrew the nut all the way? As to the back up wires, how do I identify them?
    when it comes to reinstalling is it easier to do it with just the engine or with engine/tranny combined?

Oh boy

I always recommend extracted engine and tranny together- IMO it is much much easier.

As far as the top "nut" believe it or not you can reach around from the left side over the top of the trany - essentially giving it a big bear hug.
    Wobble heads are a necessity too...

The other hand can help stabilize and guide the tools....

Clutch cable - unscrew the nut all the way - you can do it another way but that is simple enough

Reverse wires are encased in a rubber boot - it is very obvious when you see it....