Thread: H4's Not Very Bright

H4's Not Very Bright

I have an older set of H4's and they just don't seem to be very bright. Has anybody experienced the same issue with their H4's?

I have seen the "High Performance" 80 - 100 watt replacement bulbs in the Performance Products Catalog, does anybody use these and if so, is there any special wiring or anything else that would be needed with the higher watt bulbs? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Andy Baugh
    RGruppe #48

Andy, if you wish to "brighten things up", you should go with relays. To not do so will be hazardous to your dimmer switch/turn signal! A great tech article on the subject can be found on this site:
    http://www.danielsternlighting.com/
    This is also a good source for your high quality bulbs, IMHO, better quality than those offered in the catalogs...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I had the same problem, i have new H4, but last week solved it, dont know if this could be the same in your P.
    I was using 100 w bulbs, buts one side was weaker. I checked and i was needing a ground right side, put lower wt bulbs and presto. Like i said it worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ajbsd
    I have an older set of H4's and they just don't seem to be very bright. Has anybody experienced the same issue with their H4's?

I have seen the "High Performance" 80 - 100 watt replacement bulbs in the Performance Products Catalog, does anybody use these and if so, is there any special wiring or anything else that would be needed with the higher watt bulbs? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Whose lamps and housings do you have? Euro Bosch? Hella drop ins? Cibie drop-ins?

It makes a difference. I just ordered a relay set from Mr Stern and we had an interesting exchange about what to put in my sugar scoops (I do not care for the euro look). He sent me some data comparing the light from the Hella upgrade and the same size Cibie. It was very startling to say the least.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Sounds to me like they may not be wired correctly if this is the case they still work but look like parking lights at best.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by BOYER73S
    Sounds to me like they may not be wired correctly if this is the case they still work but look like parking lights at best.
    Or, if they became dim over time, it could be a corroded contact or ground. Before you spend any $$, take some time to inspect and clean all the electrical connections including the switch contacts in your stalk. You have several grounds, several multi pin connectors, and a factory relay (just behind the dash) to check out.

If you do end up going to higher wattage bulbs, plan on installing relays and heavier wire to prevent both your $300 Stalk switch and your harness from burning up.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

I am running 80/100 bulbs in my H-4s through a relay to handle the extra juice. They are incredibly bright.

Thanks Guys

Thanks for all the info. I have a few items to look at.
    Andy Baugh
    RGruppe #48

Andy,
    It was a few years between the pristine French Cibies (US-spec replacements) and the Euro H4s. However, at the end, the lower half of the Cibie reflector started to rust so I replaced them. FWIW, I think the Cibies (w/H4 bulbs) were at least as bright and maybe more so than the H4s.

The H4s do have the advantage of a thinner profile headlight rim which I prefer.

Sherwood