Thread: Rustbucket 73E for Sale - Worth What?

Rustbucket 73E for Sale - Worth What?

So, I was sitting here, wondering "wouldn't it be fun to just spend a bit of time building an engine?" I mean, think what I would learn about my car and how it works!! I don't need it, since Kermit's engine is working just fine, and I am in no time crunch, and I could fiddle with these pistons, and that camshaft and the other crankshaft and carbs vs MFI, whatever.

So, I come upon this car. Really a mess, but the engine and tranny are in decent shape. The owner has new Stainless Heat Exchanges on it (don't know if they are SSI) and a new muffler, but the updating of it is disastrous, and I don't know if there is that much salvageable on it. Fuchs? Dash?

But, if I could find the workspace, it might be "fun" to tear it apart, and "open" a parts store, selling the pieces either here, or on Pelican.

He says that he needs $3,500 for the car, but I think that he is dreaming, I don't think that it is worth that. It can't be driven. I would like to get it and sell the parts to pay for the purchase. Am I dreaming?

What do you think? (just a whimsical thread for a Holiday weekend)

Rustbucket Photos

Open to any comments.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Def worth for the parts, lower price better ofcourse, but certain parts being hard to find you could com out even, plus the hassle of taking apart, but then if you are going to fiddle with it, could have engine and trnny left, after everything sold.
    Now if you do buy it and part it, put in for
    the seat belts, seta belt hooks, gauges, an dFuchs

Thanks

Hate to be that Turkey so close to Thanksgiving! The engine and gearbox is worth the $$ but do not see much else.

Don

Larry? Have you driven through rural areas much? The "yards" with rusted out hulks placed on cement blocks? "Yeah Honey, it's a STUDEBAKER! They don't make 'em anymore." ...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Judy and I were driving through the countryside while we were bringing Kermit home, and stopped at an antique store. Walking around the back, where I had seen some "hulks" stored, we came upon 5 or 6 '55 - '57 Caddy Eldorado's. They were placed side by side like they were parked for a party.

The grass around was more than knee deep, but there was a wealth of dusty, mouse-eaten, squirrel-eaten, rusted american iron that was the king of the road in its heyday. Now? Some rare pieces might be worth it to someone.

Kinda like this car. Had it not been "updated," there would have likely been lots of parts to "uninstall" for those in need. But now? Looks like a few parts here and there, plus the engine and tranny and maybe the calipers and hubs. The body? Fuggedaboudit. The interior? Fuggedaboudit, except for face of the dash, and the gauges.

Plus, if I bring it home to dismantle it, I would have to leave Kermit out in the snow for the winter with a cover over him. Not exactly what I had planned. It was just a thought. Maybe a bad one.

My guess is that he'll still have it in his garage, or yard, in the spring. Might be a perfect time for a summer dismantling project and garage sale!!

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Larry,

Believe it or not, that car is here in LaPorte and it belongs to the father of one of my patients. I have looked at the car and it seems to worth the asking price just in parts, mainly the drive train. Have a Happy Thanksgiving, much to be thankful for this year right Grandpa.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Brian:

I know that he's in LaPorte. Honestly, I have a couple of problems. First, only the driveline and the wheels seem salvagable off of the car, so it leaves you with a lot to throw away. I had hoped initially to part it out and get the driveline for nothing - not so sure now. Second. I really don't have the space to do this. Third, if I spend the money on this, there is no hope for Monterrey. Fourth, I would be single and alone.

But it was a good exercise.

And, yes, there is sooo much to be thankful for this year. Excuse the happy grandpa picture. Couldn't resist.

larry
    Attached Images Attached Images  

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC