Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 917/30 From Australia

917/30 From Australia

It was suggested that I move this from Off Topic as there may be an interesting story behind this car. The advert is from 1983 and I was struck by the seemingly low price (although corrected for inflation, it's probably not!) and the fact that they would assemble it and paint it in your own livery for only $25K. Anyway, Lisa or Phil? Any enlightening comments?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Two 917's that I sold Steve McQueen's car to jerry S.AND THE 1971 MARTIN sebring winner for over a million and a quarter each;to put it into perspective,I bought my first new Porsche 911S IN 1971;IT WAS A BRAND NEW '70 s coupe list price was $7800,I paid $5900,Irish green with black,stolen 3 months later off the streets of Queens NY

www.spyderautomobiles.com .au
    Curt,

There is indeed an interesting story behind this...and several other cars that Alan Hamilton owned at the time. I'm not sure how much you guys know of Porsche history in Australia, so forgive me but I think a little background is appropriate.

The Hamilton family were the distributors for Porsche here and in New Zealand. Norman Hamilton first met Ferdinand Porsche in the early 50's whilst on an unrelated business trip to Europe. He was tootling through the countryside in his "barge" and was passed by a tiny sports car like he was standing still. He hunted down this car and found it and the driver (Ferdinand) having a break up the road...that started history as Norman ordered the first RHD Porsches ever to be produced (5 from memory). Norman Hamilton and Co were the importers and down here in Melbourne the cars were originally sold by Arthur Whylie Motors under Norman's watchful eye...my Dad bought his first Porsche from Arthur in 1958 (5th Speedster imported to Aus.).

The Hamilton company grew to a very large operation quite quickly and in the early 70s son Alan took the reins. There were 2 organisations: Porsche Cars Australia (the importer and distributor) and Hamilton Porsche (the Victorian dealer), both owned and operated by the Hamilton family (they were all involved; Billie, Normans wife; Heather their daughter as well as Alan).

As with any successful company it outgrew several different premises. The Hamiltons also owned very large acreage a couple of hours north from Melbourne where Alan had serious plans of building a private circuit...where he could drive this car and his 906, 908, 550Spyder and assorted other gems...as well as run a driver training facility and Porsche test ground. Funny story - Alan is quite tall and didn't fit in the 906 so it became a Spyder - he cut the roof off!

By the early 80s the organisation had amassed quite a fleet of rare racing cars, owned large parcels of real estate, but had outgrown their South Yarra premises. Alan secured the holding of a huge historic site in Richmond (Bryant and May match manufacturers) which required copious amounts of money to refurbish and outfit as a suitable dealership and head office for Porsche Cars Aus. From my recollection, this is when he offered the 917/30 for sale. And yes, back then this was a lot of money! I don't think it was sold at this time. In the 80s the Porsche Factory started to force a buyout of all the independant dealers (they started in the States as you would recall). Hamiltons was the last they procurred. I remember how difficult these times were for the Hamiltons as the Factory really put the squeeze on them. As part of the buyout the Factory took the racecars as well as they were owned by Porsche Cars Aus and not by the family unfortunately. They also took the greater portion of the country property, but Alan still owns a decent slab of it now. He did get the better of them though as he locked them into a lease arrangement in the massive complex in Richmond for a few years !

I can't give you any real history on the car itself (I was 18 in 1983!), I'm sure it's history would be well documented.

Only a few months ago we were out to lunch with the Hamiltons after a TYP901 Register run. Alan and Lorna's son Travis recounted a story to Mike about how he went for a (fast) ride in this car around Sandown Raceway as a very small boy with his Dad at the wheel...great memories!

PS: Pricing perspective..in 1973 Dad ordered a 2.7 G series sporto. he paid $12800 dealer price for it. He did try to order an RS, but as a dealer was told he had to take a new model and as they wanted to sell sportos he was cut a deal...I think he said the RS would have cost him just under $17K dealer price!

Cheers,
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

www.spyderautomobiles.com.au

Thanks Lisa! Interesting.

Hey Curt,

Y'know I think Alan owned 2 917s...one complete and running and then this one too. I should just ring him and pick his brain to get the facts straight...I think he'd be chuffed to think there is a discussion going on halfway round the world about this ! When I get a chance I will call him and then give you guys as much info as he gives me (once I get him started I would say that could be plenty ).

Cheers,
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

Quote Originally Posted by fg1227
    Two 917's that I sold Steve McQueen's car to jerry S.AND THE 1971 MARTIN sebring winner for over a million and a quarter each;to put it into perspective,I bought my first new Porsche 911S IN 1971;IT WAS A BRAND NEW '70 s coupe list price was $7800,I paid $5900,Irish green with black,stolen 3 months later off the streets of Queens NY
    Frank? Good perspective indeed!
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

917/30

Curt,

Thanks for moving this thread on my suggestion.
    Lisa never gives a short version !
    I saw this car being driven by PCA sales manager Roger Watts around the streets in a local show day(the 'Seaforth Grand Prix') back in 1987 or so.
    I didnt see too much of the car moving as it was so fast!
    I seem to remember there was a 908 as well in the demo drive.

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

OK for you Dennis - you know this stuff! I thought it might be nice to share some Aussie history with our Northern hemisphere friends... . Hugh tells me he has some interesting stuff to add too - stay tuned!

Cheers,
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

[QUOTE=lisa_spyder]OK for you Dennis - you know this stuff! I thought it might be nice to share some Aussie history with our Northern hemisphere friends... . Hugh tells me he has some interesting stuff to add too - stay tuned!

Ahh the 91730 - what a car... I saw it run at Seaforth in 1986, along with the 908. The sound as the 91730 roared up a steep and curving public road, at full noise will stay with me forever. Hairs on the back of neck stand up as I type.

Then to see the same car being driven by Olaf Lang at Laguna Seca for the 50th celebrations, sliding the thing on throttle... absolutely fan-bloody tastic...

Perhaps we should do a series on the significant cars that were here or still reside here Lisa...?

I know there was a Sydney collector who owned 2 917 chassis at one point. He also owned the 83 956 LeMans winner and the last RSR to win Daytona in 77 (Ecurie Escargot).

Justin R

Classic race cars Downunder

I saw the 917/30 in anger at the Adelaide GP in 1985 or 86 , along with a few other notable cars in this photo from the time. I think the car just out of shot in front of 917/30 #4 is a bergspyder , behind it is a Carrera 6 and a 908

It was a regular sight at the Hamilton showrooms in the 80's along with a number of significant other cars - I wish we had digital cameras back then - a lot more photos would have been taken
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg s.jpg (58.9 KB, 349 views)
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776