Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audi TDI Power!

Audi TDI Power!

The long-rumored Audi R8 replacement has finally been unveiled and - as expected - it's DIESEL powered! A V12 Twin-Turbo TDI (it was rumored to be a V10, but this website is calling it a V12). This is what I love about this series - innovation. Everything that NASCAR, IRL and modern day CART are not. There's no requirement to run diesel, but Audi's going to roll the dice and see if they might have an advantage in fuel economy and torque. Supposedly, one of the problems is the incredible torque produced is busting up gearboxes right and left.

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/sel...o_shoot&Y=2005
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some interesting info from Perkins who developed last year's diesel-powered Lola based on the VW V10 production motor. This was pretty much a low-budget operation, at least compared to Audi/VW resources. They're getting as much as a 50% fuel usage improvement over the conventional LMP1 cars - obviously, that could be huge in a 24 hour race. I wonder if this year's LeMans race will be akin to what Penske and Mercedes did with their secret pushrod motor at Indy in '94??

http://www.perkins.com/perkins/cda/a...022049,00.html

http://www.perkins.com/perkins/cda/a...022351,00.html

I was interested to read about the road-going, mid-engined, sports car Audi has planned called the R8: Evo Mag article link

Audi's 911 rival gets go-ahead

Audi has pressed the button marked 'Do It' for its mid-engined rival to the Porsche 911. Based on the Le Mans concept car (evo 081) from the 2003 Frankfurt show, the £60K two-seater will be called R8 and is to be developed by Audi subsidiary quattro GmbH. It's due on sale in the second quarter of 2007.

Likely to be powered by the 414bhp 4.2-litre V8 from the new RS4, and with the probability of a 500bhp V10 to complement it, the R8 boasts all-wheel drive and extensive use of aluminium in its construction.

With the R8 now 'live', Audi has become tight-lipped about the car. However, sources say the Ferrari F430 is being used as a dynamic benchmark, with the 911 the benchmark for everyday usability.

The concept car was a little bizarre looking for my taste, but who knows what the production version will end up looking like? They used a 610HP V10 Twin Turbo Gallardo engine in it, which will obviously be toned down for production:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/40...bo_beater.html
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

We love our TDis, right Curt? I'll be really interested to see how the transmission hold up in the R10. That Lola sure was having a hard time last year. Standard procedure is for Audi to start testing early in the year at Sebring. Won't be long now.

As a side note, I saw two(!) Penske/DHL Porsche transporters headed south out of the city on I-77 this morning in Charlotte rush hour traffic. Wish I could have followed them to see where they were headed, test maybe?? They are based in nearby Mooresville, I'm going to try and see if the shop allows tours.
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

Tom - I've replaced my small "fleet" of 15MPG company trucks with Jetta TDI's. I'm saving around $250/week/vehicle in fuel cost alone. Plus, I love the car. I wonder if Audi will bring the TDI to Sebring? If so, I might take have to make the trip down.

But Porsche have stated that they will never produce a diesel....

I drive a BMW 330D, a fabulous car. Recently drove a Skoda Fabia RS, a tiny hatchback with a the Audi/VW 130 bhp TDi motor. Its a road rocket that accelerates realy well even if you miss out 1st, 3rd and 5th of its 6 gears.
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

It's amazing here in the States that the only diesel passenger cars available are the VW TDI's and the M-B E Class. That's it! And even those are limited - they quit importing TDI's several weeks ago because they were dragging down VW's required EPA pollution fleet average for 2005. You can go out and buy all the 8 MPG Hummers you want, but a 50 MPG VW? Nope, that pollutes too much ...... our government at it's best.

I am thinking of going to sebring to check this car out (I have a free Southwest ticket to burn). Can anyone tell me which airport is the closest, where to stay, etc...

Thanks,

Erich

Sebring is pretty much out in the middle of nowhere. I flew into Orlando and rented a car. It's only about 1 hour south. Found a motel somewhere along the highway on the drive down.

Just came back from Germany,,, my rental car was a Ford Mondeo TDI... Torquey Fast,,, excellent car... I was cruising comfortably at 200KMH down the autobahn with reserve.. Why cant the US market wake up.
    My every day is a TDI Beetle with chip and exhaust bypass... 210lbs torque smokes tires upon request in second gear and still averages 1000kms plus per 50L fillup. On a recent trip to meet up with Cabell in Vermont we did 1200kms on the tank.

Regards, robert Gross.