Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Window Regulator Spring

Window Regulator Spring

Has anyone replaced the center post of a window regulator spring and been able to properly tension the spring? I have replaced the center posts on mine but presume that the springs needs at least another 360 degrees of wind up. I don't now for sure as both of my regulators were in the same situation when I disassebled the doors.

Any advice or accurate information would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

If its like the spring that controls the forward and back movement of the seat backs then it will be bloooooooody difficult. They look like the same unit and you will need to lock the regulator into position somehow and pull/push the spring around. I am sure Porsche use a special tool.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Bob,

I recently did this to one of my doors.

As best I recollect, I figure the spring is used to help the window to go up and therefore it is at it's least tension when the window is up. As you roll the window down, you add tension to the spring. Going with this idea, I positioned my regulator mechanism so it is in the "up" position and then attached the spring. I then installed it without worrying about winding the spring any further as I figured it would wind itself as I lowered the window.

Seems to work ok.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Thanks Harry,

I used the same process as you described but there really isn't enough force in the spring over that angle to counter act the mass of the glass. Definitely the correct line of thinking though.

I think I will calculate the spring constant and use Hooke's law to calculate the required preload wrap angle (for the mech eng. types).
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Thanks Clyde,

I think when I get the regulator in front of me again I think I will see how hard it is to remove the other pivots and disable the travel limits of the "rack" gear and see if I can wind it up as you suggest.

And yes they are basically the same as the spring withing the seat hinges.

Regards.
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Bob/HarryD-

What is the source for those spring centerposts? I didn't know they were available. Is it a factory part?

Thx,
    TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Hi Tom,

I just machined my own but they are in the Tweeks Cataloge.

Unfortunately without a scheme to wind up the spring there is little use in replacing the old one with the new one.

I am going to come up with a way of doing this without any special tools as my next project and I will post to the board my process. I imagine there are lots of cars with a chunk of the spring center post rattling around in the bottom of to door and harder then normal windows to roll up.

Every regulator I have seen is broken.
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ttweed
    Bob/HarryD-

What is the source for those spring centerposts? I didn't know they were available. Is it a factory part?

Thx,
    TT
    Tom,

The factory wants you to order a new regulator assembly. The pivot pin is aftermarket. A search at Pelican will uncover a large number of posts.

I ordered mine thru Pelican parts after I gave them a Performance Products Part number. Please be aware they come in several flavors and you need to order the correct one.

You can see them here: http://www.automotion.com/productpag...egulator+Pivot
    Harry

Member #789
    2009 MB C300

Quote Originally Posted by bobmagyar
    Hi Tom,

I just machined my own but they are in the Tweeks Cataloge.

Unfortunately without a scheme to wind up the spring there is little use in replacing the old one with the new one.

I am going to come up with a way of doing this without any special tools as my next project and I will post to the board my process. I imagine there are lots of cars with a chunk of the spring center post rattling around in the bottom of to door and harder then normal windows to roll up.

Every regulator I have seen is broken.
    Hmmmm. I did not wind my spring more than needed to hook it into place and the window works better than it ever has.

Beware that the pivot pins have the slot in one of two ways: parallel to the key and perpendicular to the key. Maybe you need the one with the other orientation.

Harry

Member #789
    2009 MB C300

Quote Originally Posted by HarryD
    The pivot pin is aftermarket. A search at Pelican will uncover a large number of posts.
    Thanks for the info. I had searched the PP online catalog, but could not find a listing for the pin. I'm not sure I'm going to fix the broken regulator in my '68 anyway, as I am thinking of going with the pull-strap, lexan setup in it, but it's good to know they are available separately from the regulator assembly.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!