Thread: mystery hole near oil tank, breather? and oil Q

Angry mystery hole near oil tank, breather? and oil Q

I still am waiting on my maint book, so sorry if this seems silly.

I changed my oil line to the cooler today,drained the tank, filled up the tank to the line, guess too much because on the block cruise oil was everywhere. checked, was up to the cap! drained some out back to the line again, better for now.
    what is the proper way to fill it?

During a idle run smoke/steam etc lightly puffed out of this hole occasionally. what goes on it?

Uh, you do know that you should check oil level with the engine warmed up and running?
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

The hole is the crankcase vent to the oil tank and a hose goes from it to the front of the engine...the hose from the filer pipe goes to the stock air cleaner. There is an elbow pipe on the front of the cleaner. You may have these two switched in position.

On the oil problem....since you didn't mention draining the engine sump too...usually there is still a good amount of oil there and when you filled the tank to the top line it was too much. Just drain some out of the tank..say one qt... and make sure the engine is hot before you check the level.

I will try to send you a picture of the oil line routing to your PM.

john

sorry for the quality of the image but here it is...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by pwd72s
    Uh, you do know that you should check oil level with the engine warmed up and running?

uhhh, no that is why i asked

Thanks for the other replys!
    it seems they have the oil neck vent going to the front of the motor and that other one as you saw from the pic is just empty.