Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Tires For All Around Use

Question Best Tires For All Around Use

Hey Guys-
    I'm about to buy a new set of tires for my 73S - Thinking of getting some 205/65's.
    I thought I'd solicit your opinions on tires that are best for all-around street use - For example- are Yokohama Decible D2's any good? I'd like a set of tires with excellent grip but also good wearing qualities, so Pirelli's are probably out...... What do you like??
    Thanks,
    Gary Grasso
    73S Targa silver
    73.5 Coupe gold
    2004 Carrera Cabriolet black/black

Gary, we have had very good results with the Bridgestone G111's, they are one step below the SO3's as far as model goes but they are not far behind on grip. Price though, is quite a difference some where about 1/2 to 2/3's of the price. Problem is though I don't know if they are available up there in the USA.

www.spyderautomobiles.com .au

Decibles = noisy!

Gary,

My only experience with Yoko Decibles enticed me to wear them out as quickly as possible as they were so noisy! Not on a 911 though, but I have shied away from them ever since. There is a standing joke in the tyre trade downunder - 'decibles' = big decibals !

Also, I think Mike is teasing you a little...we have both searched the web to see if these great Bridgestone G III tyres are available over there and have drawn a blank. Pity, as they are truly the best value for money everyday tyre I have come across for 911s since RE71's. In fact, downunder I would call them cheap - no more than $1000 Aussie for a set to fit 7s and 8s either 15" or 16". My only criticism of them is that they are a little soft in the wall, so in very hard cornering they tend to squirm a little. But they are fabulous in the wet, wear well and are not noisy. We have fitted dozens of sets on all sorts of road 911s (I even have a set on the 356 outlaw) with no complaints about their performance. Some don't like the modern look...when you have 4 elastic bands between you and the road I don't really give a toss about the "look". I want a tyre that works and the GIII's do the job remarkably well for just a portion of what I am used to paying for tyres down here.

If any of you are looking for 205/55/15s (a good fit and rolling diameter on a 6" rim I have found) Bridgestone have re-released the RE71 only in this size in Aus. It may be available overseas...I would highly recommend this tyre - this was definitely my tyre of choice for the road for years when it was still being made in larger sizes. We've just fitted a set to a 67S for a customer and he is very happy with them...the only reason we're not running them on our own cars is the lack of size range now available .

Cheers,
    Lisa
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

www.spyderautomobiles.com.au

Tire comments

Thanks, Lisa & Mike for your comments......any experience with any of the Michelin tires?
    -Gary

Yokohama ES100 , good tires, good price

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    My Pirelli P6000's are a BIG grip improvement over the Michelin MXV4s that came on my car. No road noise difference (as if I'd notice with a sport muffler), but the Pirellis squeal much less during hard cornering. Haven't put enough miles on them to comment on wear.

My general experience with Michelins is that they are an excellent wearing
    tire because they use a harder rubber compound. Unfortunately this means less grip. They are also expensive.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Jared,

What size P6000 are you using and what size rims.

Thanks,

John

I like original size stuff so I go with Vredestein. They make a Sprint Classic that looks great and rides good. It's 185/70/15 same as original and only costs about $80 ea. I highly reccomend them.
    If you want some fatter ones I've a celler full of them.
    Tom

Question tires for my 73S

Thanks, Guys- But any noticeable handling difference between running, say 205's versus 195's ?
    -Gary

Tom, what is the speed rating on the VREDESTEIN sprint classic 185/70/15 tire? Thanks JIM
    Early 911S Registry #161