Thread: MFI Vs carbs a weighty question

MFI Vs carbs a weighty question

I know most of us are MFI fans. I have an interesting observation. I just bought a complete MFI set-up for my E, I never realized how heavy this stuff is, carbs must be 35-40 lbs lighter. Does MFI increased HP offset the increase in weight, just curious.
    Phil

MFI and carbs

Hello: If you set up the carbs very well, then yes they will be lighter and make the same power if not more. With the carbs you can use bigger main venturis to get more air in the engine. The only way to do that with the MFI is to bore out the throttle bodies and install larger butterflies. I do like MFI and like carbs as well, they are just different. My new thing I want to try is programable EFI with TWM throttle bodies or MFI throttle bodies adapted to work with the EFI setup. Lastly the MFI is easier on fuel then the carbs. Thanks Eric

Eric, I have just built a 3.4 with Nickies cylinders and triple barrell throttle bodies, it is feeling really good even in the running in period. This car was a 3.2 last year with the same intake system, bad cylinder heads, same cams, not very good combustion qualities and made 285 hp at the flywheel!
    even with all that against it. It ran well using an Autronic with coil packs! Can't wait to see what it does now.

Quote Originally Posted by pu911rsr
    I just bought a complete MFI set-up for my E, I never realized how heavy this stuff is, carbs must be 35-40 lbs lighter.
    As much as that? Where is the weight coming from? The throttle bodies? The pump itself? Where?

TIA

The pump is a HEAVY mofo...
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I think it is mostly the pump I haven't weighed individual components.
    Phil

Can't the pump be moved to somewhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by beginner
    Can't the pump be moved to somewhere else?
    You earn your name grasshopper. NO, it can't (well anything can be done, but...). It is driven off of the camshaft, so moving it anwhere else would be a folly. Better to convert to EFI.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389