Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 915 trans mount saddle in a 69?

915 trans mount saddle in a 69?

Guys,

Is it possible to use a 915 transmission saddle at the shift linkage end of my 901 transmission so I don't have to pay big bucks to replace the 2 black rubber blocks?

I have a couple good 915 mounts and a saddle left over from some of my 73 911 projects and figure that I could use them to good effect when I put my 1969 912 back together. Has this been discussed on a previous thread?

Thanks for the accumulated wisdom.

John Meyer, proud member # 322
    73 S sporto and 69 912 in pieces and parts

I showed how to do this for a type 911 trans on a '73 using the '73 mounts and a steel adapter plate about 2 yrs ago on Pelican. Same username for your search...

Randy,

Thanks for the help. Am I correct that 'randywebb' is the correct user name?

Thanks again.

John

Later trans mounts in earlier cars

Randy, I did a search on the Pelican forum site based on your user name and found nothing. It might be this post was old enough that it's not appearing in the search database any more. This is an issue that's becoming critical for us owners of older cars (mine's a '66). Any chance you could dig it up from the archive and repost or perhaps even add it to the tech notes?

thanks!

Adam Reed

Guys,
    Whatever came of the post on Pelican? I am making a list of my winter projects.
    Will a 915 saddle work on a 901 if the mounting holes are redrilled?
    Will the 915 saddle cure vibration problems?
    Is there a template somewhere that I can use to drill the correct holes in a 915 saddle to use on my 901?

Thanks

John
    73S with sporto and 69 912

use the trans itself to make a template transfer to redrill the holes

the trans needs a spacer under it - maybe 40 mm high?? or so - I set it so the shift linkage is centered in t he access hole at rear of the tunnel

the spacer can be made to be an adapter from trans to crossbar support -- drill and tap various holes in it to match it all up

- replace the rubber mounts with brand new ones to kill rattles and shaking

i've done this with a typ 911, not a 901

seen people make mounts out of billet Al too

powdercoat the items too while they are out of the car

37yearold:
    Thanks for the info. Your advice was pretty much my plan. I just wanted to make sure that I did not ignore what to somebody else would be an obvious mis-step. I have a rather long history of finishing a project and then saying: "If I knew when I was a virgin what I know now, things would be different" But some times you just have to go through the process of becoming unvirginated

Thanks again.

John, aka The Capitalist Roader

Randy goes by RWebb on Pelican...
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

These new WEVO products were recently brought to my attention and they look to do the trick for us SWB drivers. Not cheep but it would most likely be a one time upgrade with backup.

http://www.wevo.com/Products/Chassis...STransBeam.htm

Quote Originally Posted by 68911+1 View Post
    These new WEVO products were recently brought to my attention and they look to do the trick for us SWB drivers. Not cheep but it would most likely be a one time upgrade with backup.

http://www.wevo.com/Products/Chassis...STransBeam.htm
    I did the WEVO upgrade using the softer "Black Pillows" (see the link above) on my 1970 911T. The shifting improvement was amazing, but I do hear a little bit more transmission noise than before the upgrade.

Just offering some feedback.

Good luck with your project.
    Bert Jayasekera
    1970 911T - Tangerine Orange
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167