Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving lights- functional recommendation

Driving lights- functional recommendation

The older I get the more light I appreciate especially with spirited driving, and if at night, its more important. I want to know what the group advises for an orginal look with the most punch for the $. Combinations etc.... all advice is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Rich

P.S. If anyone has their options for sale I would appreciate knowing. I can be emailed at rroush@roushinsuranc.com

Rich
    rich-911

either the HIDs or the H1s, followed by the H4s

HIDs esp. if you drive in traffic (low beam) much.

use big bulbs & relays with the H1/H4

What's in there now?

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    The most punch for the money, and a pretty much 100% original look is to replace the 7" sealed beams with H4 lights and some relays.

The relays will allow you to use 100W high beams and protect your expensive turn signal and headlight switches.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

I definitely agree re the cost effectiveness...

I loved the look of the early Hella lenses on my 67. But when I had to take them off and put on the H4's for the German TUV, I realized how much more light the H4's threw. As stated above, it's the best and most economical way to go.

I'm running the 80/100W H4 bulbs on my '73 (with an appropriate relay) and they are as bright as you could possibly hope for.

I keep the early look by using period buckets with H1 or H4 replacement lamps and high watt bulbs (relays are required). These are H1s. I also use H4s with 100/130 bulbs. Very bright. More than you could hope for.
    ____
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

I second Jays appraisal. I have the same setup + older eyes, and am quite happy.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Jens,
    I did the same thing for the reasons you stated, keep the original look but make it much more functional. I made one minor deviation and installed yellow lenses, a second set of clear ones are no the shelf if I decide to reinstall them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1985 911 Carrera 75,000 miles - Black w/ tan leather.
    Stainless Steel Cat Bypass, Steve Wong Chip, and a few other minor upgrades.

Jens - you added the city light bulbs into your H1 housings? Any pics on how you did that?