Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spare tire question

spare tire question

my 70T spare wheel is a flat six rather than a deep six like the other working four wheels. It has a Semperit 185 70 VR 15 tire and tube. It appears to have been only used once. Every time I prepare for a long drive, I have to raise the PSI which holds for about three months or so.

Not the correct year for the rim or tire size. I would like to replace the tire with a tubless, However, every time I look at that perfectly clean spare...with the red stipe on the tire surface still there, I feel that I may be destroying something original.

Anyone know what the 70 cars tire options were? Guys, I feel stupid to ask, however, my cars spare tire and wheel are concours level clean. Not something I am used too.

That rim has a perfectly clean untouched Fuchs control ink stamp on it. Please help me. I will post pics later. Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Leave it alone and worry about something like me coming to visit you.

Tom

No worries on that...

I just figured that right after I toss that tire someone will want it. I will save it for a week...

Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Shawn, there is still a flat six, with a tube XWX Michelin in my trunk. Hold air well. So what if it's rock hard after 30 years? My thinking is that it would get me to help if I keep it around 50 mph...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

just an idea (...or shameful plug ?)
    cheers
    jerry
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Shawn, What's the date code? I 'm running into the same thing although my tire was shot, the wheel is near perfect (75 date code). I think my car was originally supplied with 14s but, had 73 dated 7x15s on it which would explain the flat six spare. God, I love the PO of my car! 7s,... 72 sport seats.

Paul's of course would be a later flat six.

If it were me I'd sell it and get a refinished deep six for a spare to match the rest of your wheels. That's the plan with mine at least.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by pwd72s
    Shawn, there is still a flat six, with a tube XWX Michelin in my trunk. Hold air well. So what if it's rock hard after 30 years? My thinking is that it would get me to help if I keep it around 50 mph...
    Paul, I'd consider having the tire bead popped and resealed. I just went through a situation where I hit a pair of nail clippers and totally imbedded it in my left front. I put on the 15 year old never been on the roadspare (with good air pressure) and was planning to limp home. Got to 45 mph and in less than a quarter mile the spare tire totally seperated from the rim. Needless to say I was SCREWED! Ended up having to get a new spare tire on top of replacing the blown.

Point being that it may hold air but, once load pressure and rolling force is applied Concours condition is nice but I wouldn't rely on a 30 year old spare during regular driving.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

My 70S has a VR rated tube type Dunlop "dogbone" spare. The tread looks identical to one pictured in the manual.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

PICTURES!!! On a Deep Six?
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    I just figured that right after I toss that tire someone will want it. I will save it for a week...

Shawn.
    Shawn, Sent you a pm.
    Mike
    S Registry #825
    73.5 Dalmatian Blue