Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Scum Broke Into My Garage

Angry Some Scum Broke Into My Garage

Found the garage door wide open this afternoon. It seems overnight someone broke in & took my aluminum jack & a basically all my tools & various spare parts.

A fair bit of stuff is gone $ wise, but the worst part is that alot of it is obscure, but very useful, tools & parts that are going to take forever to track down again.

Sometimes people make me sick. At least they didn't touch the car.
    [Early 911 Registry #772]

That really stinks but be aware that these scumbags were probably only equipped to grab small items from garages. Now that they know what's in the garage they might be back for your car, be careful.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Hunt for them on Ebay...I'm not kidding. A Portland area autocrosser recovered a set of wheels that way...street tires & wheels stolen when he was on the track. When he showed to "buy" his wheels back, his "buddy" who came along just happened to be a cop. Be careful out there, folks... My garage is alarmed, BTW, and it's main door faces the street. In Oregon, it's perfectly legal to shoot an intruder in your garage, but the garage needs to be attached to the home. Mine is. Thieves tend to like "cover" as they do their stealing, so keep their possible entry points open to view. I've stopped shopping ebay once I figured out that it's probably the world's biggest fencing operation.

Maybe you could give us more details as a way to help us prevent being victimized? How they broke in, etc?
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I park my spare car with its bumper on the garage door. It's the old swing out kind of door, so they'd have to steal my Miata to get to the P car goodies. It's not a solution for everyone, but if you have that kind of door, it works. I hope you can track them down and break them. Ebay and craigslist...you'll find them.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Yeah- I will be keeping an eye on ebay / craigslist.

It is a rented garage, a few blocks from my house. Old swing up door is secured w/ a padlock, which was gone, so either picked or cut. The door is in plain view of the street, but it was broken into at night. They would have been in & out within less than a minute probably- only took what was really easy to grab (i.e. took 3 jackstands but left the 4th in plain view).

The car is alarmed, which they know. Hopefully its not at risk- I would think this was an opportunity theft & the scumbags would not have a clue what to do with an early 911?

I'd head to radio shack or a similar store...ask them about very noisy motion detecting alarm systems...these can be very portable & not all that expensive. (edit) motion detecting lights would be a nice additional touch. My guess is that they'll be back. Just the car alarm might not be enough protection.
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Sorry about your loss. They'll be back after they think you replaced the stuff with the insurance money. It happened to me. I had ADT wire my house and my garage.
    Mike
    S Registry #825
    73.5 Dalmatian Blue

Maybe I should buy a $200 heap of crap to park in front of the door

Quote Originally Posted by mike walker
    Sorry about your loss. They'll be back after they think you replaced the stuff with the insurance money. It happened to me. I had ADT wire my house and my garage.
    Alas, in this case it's a rented garage. But yes, having the alarm system installed here gives peace of mind. Good idea on the junker though, it could block one entry point. How about the others?

The upward swinging door is the only way in, short of breaking down the walls

Maybe something like this, per your suggestion Paul :
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

For $20 it doesn't look too bad.