Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Targa de Julian October 27-29

Thumbs up Targa de Julian October 27-29

After a great Memorial Day Weekend in Julian, we are ALL going back.
    Eade, Duane, Bob, and Shawn, Don, and myself, along with the wives and girlfriends decided to have a "Tweener Event" (in between the Big One)

We are going to the fantastic town of Julian for the weekend of October 27-29th. The weather will be beautiful. We are staying again at the incredible Orchard Hill. A REALLY nice Bed and Breakfast, awesome property. Tell them you are with the Porsche group, they all know and LOVE us. See photos of Orchard Hill that were posted under the Julian Classic Car Show.
    http://orchardhill.com/
    They blocked off some rooms in the Lodge and some cottages for us until June 18th. This is not an offical R Gruppe event, not a S Registry Event. Its just about good friends getting away.
    Eade is working on some really scenic roads for us to drive on in N. San Diego County on Saturday the 28th. Go visit a couple of wineries, etc.

Those who have Targa's should drive them that weekend. It will be top off Targa weather

Those who can make it will have a GREAT time
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

property shots

view of Julian hillside from the deck Orchard Hill

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255

Targa

Roger & Terri, Sam & Cindy, Cheri and I all have reservations, should be a great time, great roads, great resort, even better, great friends to spend some time with. Rooms are going fast
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

Targa

I spoke with the Inn today, and this time of the year is INCREDIBLE, as far as colors, weather, etc. I reserved the back dinning room for Saturday night, which it can hold up to about 24 people. I also reserved Ramona's for Friday night, for 16. The owner told me that this time of the year is very busy because of the colors changing, the apples being harvested, etc. Hope all of you can make it
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

Thanks Ray

Thanks to Ray for 'heads up' call just now. Room booked, looking forward to seeing everybody!
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Quote Originally Posted by 69Sman
    Thanks to Ray for 'heads up' call just now. Room booked, looking forward to seeing everybody!
    Really glad to hear you will be there, you will love the Orchard Hill Inn. Very, very cool rooms, you will have a blast.
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

I may have to try to make it up to Julian with you guys. That town was where my great-great-grandfather, William Noel Tweed, settled when he came over from Scotland. He established a stagecoach and freight business from Julian to San Diego and San Bernardino in 1870, after gold was discovered there, and won the contract for mail service to those cities, too.

My father left me some of the historical stuff he dug up at the library and Historical Society about those early days, and some of it is hilarious. Seems a fellow named Adolph Stokes went into competiton with the Pioneer Stage Line that W. N. Tweed founded and a fare war commenced in 1872. They each kept undercutting the other's fares until passengers were riding the 60 miles between San Diego and Julian for free! My great-great-grandfather then offered passengers $1 apiece to ride with his drivers, depending on the freight business alone for any profit, but Stokes countered with the offer of $1 plus free drinks along the way! Apparently the free booze won out, and in 1873, the Pioneer Line went out of business and Tweed opened the Pioneer Livery service-- breeding, boarding, buying and selling horses instead.

One of his grandsons, Eugene Tweed, opened the first automobile repair business in San Diego in 1918, according to published accounts I have seen, so I guess cars (and horses before them) have always been in my blood, and I am a 4th-generation native San Diegan, a rare commodity these days, when we have been overrun by transplants.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

even just for the day...

Tom,
    Come on up when you can, as long as you can...even if its just for Saturday only. No need to pitch the town or the roads to you..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255

few more photos

in front of cottage 5

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255