Thread: F-car 365BB - any for sale?

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar

F-car 365BB - any for sale?

I was smitten with a 365 Berlinetta Boxer at the Pebble Beach Gooding auction. The look of those quad Webers and 12 flat cylinders in a mid layout was SOOO cool! Anyone know of any quality examples for sale??

Values are up, but the 365BB hasn't kept pace with the F market despite being the first mid engine, 12 cylinder production Ferrari, made in relatively low numbers. Any opinions on why?? Will this car be "discovered" by the market in a few years??

No, I'm not defecting, and NO 512s please... and yes, I'm familiar with the maintenence challenge$$$ a 12 cyl F-car can bring.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Jared,

My buddy's been maintaining a 512 (maybe the last carbureted serial number) for about 20 years...

They are awesome!!!... the early 365's have a little more top end power and are a little lighter... the early 512's have a bit more low end grunt and are a bit heavier.... they were Ferrari's first 'super car' of the modern era.

They both will tare your lungs out all the way to (whichever stat you believe) 178 to 181 MPH... with pretty sophisticated handling and pretty good breaks...

But... They are HEAVY ... about 3900lbs wet.
    And... It's almost imposable to federalize them.... those you see on the road are illegal ... or somehow the fix is in....

When they brought them over they put CATS on that would virtually melt the rear body work, lights, and wiring... so people would take the CATS off and drive them illegally...

These are very much underrated super cars... and a blast to drive

We bought one of these cars in Albuquerque for the client and drove it all the way home in L.A. ....

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

As far as I have seen the 365's are hard to find and are usually priced higher than 512's. As Chuck said, they are a little lighter than the 512, but lighter in this case is a relative term. These cars are heavy, but very quick. I don't think you would find a well maintained, no issues car under 100K. It might be good to talk to some old timers in the Ferrari Club of America to learn more about the cars and maybe who might be willing to part with one.
    Scott
    Scott Marshall
    911 S Registry member#724
    1981 Porsche 911SC
    1993 Porsche 968 Clubsport
    1961 Abarth Record Monza, 1964 Abarth Simca 2000
    1962 Abarth 1000GT, 1964 Abarth 850TC Nurburgring

Jared, if I were a smarta$$, I'd make a comment about the difficulty of tuning a dual-Weber setup on a certain 73S. But I'm not a smarta$$ and would never make that sort of comment.

Seriously tho, have you been on Ferrarichat.com?

They are beautiful and they are heavy and fast. Nothing like the turbine whine of cranking up an F car. There have been a few cars that are federalized. I can have by little bro keep his eye open for you he has 512 and lives in MI.
    Phil

Jared,

I agree, the engine bay of that car was very alluring. I wish I could have heard the engine fired up.

The person from Sportscar Market mag., John Apen, who picked apart that car for us before the auction recommended a subscription to Ferrari Market Letter for all those interested in learning more and/or looking for a car.

www.ferrarimarketletter.com
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer
    Jared, if I were a smarta$$, I'd make a comment about the difficulty of tuning a dual-Weber setup on a certain 73S.
    Ah yes... leave it to Curt! Same *easy* tuning process, only takes twice as long right? Of course, I suspect it will be more than twice the price when you inevitably take it to someone who actually knows what the hell they are doing.

Thanks for the info guys - I had no idea the car was that heavy! The 365 especially has a light, race car construction look to it - decieving I suppose.
    What causes this heftyness??

I did hear the Gooding car run, and fit reasonably well inside (6'1"). Unfortunately no way to drive it. The owner claimed a "recent" engine rebuild by Ferrari of Atlanta but Gooding was not able to produce the invoice for the work. With 70K kilometers on the clock, that's a pretty big unanswered question.

I'll check out those sights - there is a 512BBi coming up at the Michigan RM auction in a few weeks, but I don't think these auctions are the best way to buy a car like this (no PPI).

Chuck, if a car has it's EPA / DOT papers it's legal right? Even though a cat may have been removed, it can still be registered in a state with no emissions testing (MI). If a car is over 25 years old here, you can register just about anything.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

The Miami Vice generation in the "on deck" circle for spending money on toys that they couldn't afford as kids.
    These are the same suspects now doing hedge funds making 100 million a year. Show no mercy. Easy come, easy go.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Jared,

In all honesty it's been so long since this has come up in my world that I'm not really sure of the rules... even here in SoCal...

I do know however, that the last time a BB I know came up for re-registration it needed to go the DMV referee for the call ...

Sorry, not much help
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter