Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $10,000 Crank?

$10,000 Crank?

I know zero about these but is this a high asking price?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...temZ4637636821

I would hate to have to replace one of those. Ouch!
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

I think that's probably a bargain. I know very little about them but have crossed paths with a couple 356 mechanics. In 1992-3 Heinz Bade, who had been Bruce Jennings' mechanic did the machine work on my 911 case. He had a 4-cam 356 in his shop. It has a metal fan housing in the position toward the read of the car, more like a 911 fan than a VW. Really special cars.

I found these specs for a 1960 4 cam on the internet: 141 hp out of 1600cc! Not bad. It was the RS of it's day (but production numbers were much lower), I have yet to find a price on one and I know I can't afford it, so I don't even ask. They made a 2 liter 4 cyl, but i haven't found the specs for that.

Engine
    Engine Configuration F
    Cylinders 4
    Aspiration/Induction Normal
    Displacement 1.60 L | 97.6 cu in. | 1599.7 cc.
    Valves 8 valves.
    2 valves per cylinder.
    Valvetrain DOHC
    Horsepower 141.00 HP (103.8 KW) @ 6500.00 RPM
    HP to Weight Ratio 12.9 LB / HP (Vehicles with similar ratio)
    HP / Liter 88.1 BHP / Liter
    Redline 7500
    Bore 3.44 in | 87.4 mm.
    Stroke 2.60 in | 66 mm.
    Compression Ratio 9.80:1
    Fuel Feed 2 Weber Carbueretors
    ---

They also have two distributors mounted at 90 degrees.

I'll try to find pictures of an engine and post them.
    George Vermillion
    Early 911S Registry Member #101
    '70 2,2S - Green Metallic
    '90 Syncro Westfalia - White

Here's a link with an interesting restoration story: http://www.356carrera.net/restoration.asp?cat=2

and a picture of the engine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    George Vermillion

This crank and the Mahle piston set the guy is selling are from a 547/1 1500GS Carrera 4 cam engine - I have just finished the rebuild on my engine and am wishing I'd found this guy before we started!

The roller bearing crank is a delicate Ernst Fuhreman design and produced 100bhp from 1500cc in 1956 - with fantastic reliability.

Only four RHD 'A' T2 GS's were produced and mine is one of these - I've seen two others (LHD) for sale at around the £165,000 region - yes, they're rare and precious - and the parts are painfully expensive

But they're great fun to drive

P
    --
    1973 911 Carrera RS #496
    Early 911S Registry #1808

Ex-Brumos employee, Bill Bencker, has told stories about "dumpster diving" for Carrera parts when Brumos decided it wasn't in the 356 Carrera business anymore.
    Cranks, cams, heads and all hard parts for the engines were there for the taking. Not an urban myth. This really happened.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by sithot
    Ex-Brumos employee, Bill Bencker, has told stories about "dumpster diving" for Carrera parts when Brumos decided it wasn't in the 356 Carrera business anymore.
    Cranks, cams, heads and all hard parts for the engines were there for the taking. Not an urban myth. This really happened.
    How to kick a man when he's down I've also heard that Carrera Motors in South Africa still has brand new old stock Carrera engines / spares etc - would be fun to find a box of these somewhere!

P
    --
    1973 911 Carrera RS #496
    Early 911S Registry #1808

Is this the same type engine mentioned above?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Henry

There are several variants over the years, yours is different in that the fan drive belt isn't visible and there is a cone in place of the pulley. The fan tower is similar though. Is that an RSK?

Here's a link to some parts: I guess the crank on ebay was in the ballpark!

http://www.spydersports.com/partslist.htm
    George Vermillion

Quote Originally Posted by Vermilli
    There are several variants over the years, yours is different in that the fan drive belt isn't visible and there is a cone in place of the pulley. The fan tower is similar though. Is that an RSK?

Here's a link to some parts: I guess the crank on ebay was in the ballpark!

http://www.spydersports.com/partslist.htm
    George,

First of all, I wish it was mine, and second, I have no idea what it is, I took pictures because I fond it both impressive and interesting.
    Henry

Good golly I guess I'll stick with the cheap 911! ;o How reliable are these engines? At these prices I'd think it would be extremely costly to race, and with the scarcity of parts, yikes.
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739