Thread: First valve adjust done! Only 6 hours...

First valve adjust done! Only 6 hours...

Wow was that a not so fun job! I initially tried the traditional method with the Pelican tool but found the 'backside method' to be a better option. I now stand in awe at those who can reliably adjust their valves using the traditional method of developing a 'feel' for how tight the .004 feeler should be. The backside method seems much more accurate and was a LOT easier from an access standpoint. The bad side is all the up and down.

Quite a few valves were very loose (.003 gauge slipped in waaay easy). Interesting.

I now understand what people mean by 'reshaping your knees'. I feel like i've been up since 3am dragging a duck boat through the marsh.

Also changed the oil and put on new cap & rotor. I have points but am ready to get this thing running again so i'll do those later.

Mistakes and near misses include an Exxon Valdeze style incident when i removed the sump plug after the valve adjust. i had drained the oil days ago and put the plug back in so as not to lose it. I needed to remove it to replace the metal sealing ring. Well guess what happens when you turn the motor over for your valve adjust...................the oil pump, well, pumps. Probably the better part of a quart all over the ground and the padded mats i was using to lay on.

I also managed to 'think' i put the wrong gasket on the upper valve cover. Removed it with a lot of cussing only to realize i was fine. Wasted time there.

I'm sure the next valve adjust will go a bit quicker (hopefully it's not tomorrow after taking the car for a spin). Seems like 2-3hrs would be pretty easy to do depending on how many are in need of adjustment.

Nice to have saved a few bucks though!
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

Congratulations! The knowledge base to maintain our old cars continues!!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

con grats! i'm imtimadated , i'll do the valves on my bike ( air cooled twin boxer) but when i installed the turbo valve covers and was looking around........... i seamed too like the check book should do it.
    Ron

1973.5 911T
    1974 BMW R90/6
    1986 Carrera, Plan "B"
    1987 BMW K100RS Motorsport
    2004 BMW X3 6 speed manual transmisson

Gumby i was very intimidated as well. It's really easy to read the 101 Projects book and various threads and convince yourself you can do it all. Then you actually go out in the garage and it's like 'ummm.....this thing is expensive'.

I'll tell you what did it for me though; the knowledge and experience on these boards and constantly repeating 'it's just a machine, don't be scared'. I'd like to think that even if i could write checks without pain all day long i'd still choose to DIY. It was definitely a bonding experience.

Erik
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

your right , it's a part of ownership , some of the progjects that i see here are down right fantastic. i will do most things and this board has been very helpful . when the time comes to adjust the valves i'll have to look into the tensioners also tho ( while your in there ) ron
    Ron

1973.5 911T
    1974 BMW R90/6
    1986 Carrera, Plan "B"
    1987 BMW K100RS Motorsport
    2004 BMW X3 6 speed manual transmisson