Thread: SWB front alignment

SWB front alignment

Ok there is no adjustments for the front alignment on a SWB 911 except toe thats eay tie-rod end here's my question I know its possible but has it been done if I take the spindal off of the strut and shim the top two bolts that would give me more positive camber if I flip the shims that would give me more negative camber has anyone every tried this

I thought adjustments were made on the SWB 911's by adding or deleteing the 50 pound weights found in the front bumpers? Only kidding. Doesn't the upper shock bearing mounts move in or out to adjust camber like the LWB cars?
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough

Gearbox...

Unfortunately no is does not move like the late 68 and later 911 cars that have the three bolts with the sliding plate. I looked in the shop manual and it said under the camber adjustment for the pre 68 cars that the camber is not adjustable...we are trying to see if anyone has done it or ideas...from some pictures it looks like the 911R had a modification that looks like the late 68 and later cars...

Thanks,

John

Short Wheel base alignment adjustment

The spindle is part of the casting that is swedged onto the shock tube - no possible angle adjustment. Those four bolt hold the mounting plate for the Brake Caliper.

Some prior thinking about some adjustment for the early cars:
    On the alignment machine loosen the top shock nut- press in/press out for a fraction of a change. Hit a good size pothole and it will recenter. (No value)

Remove the ball joint from the "A" arm and slot the holes. If you slot more than an 1/8" weld on support to the circumference of the A arm opening. Gives up to about 1 to 1.5 negative camber. (Most value) If you slot and don't add end material you stand the chance to break out the ball joint from the A arm. (Most dangerous of conditions). Still no Caster adjustment.

Remount the ball joints to the A arm with under sized bolts (I broke out in a sweat when I found these). (Most dangerous of conditions).

Reshape/replace the rubber donuts that hold the top shock mount with off set center holes/ slot the fender holes. With use, the rubber donuts will compress under sharp load, can rotate in the hole giving opposite caster and camber between wheels. (Questionable results)

Drill the three hole mounting for the 1966 > top shock attachments. Uses the factory plate inside the fender to hold and sandwich the setting. (Best Idea). If you are going racing - check with your scrut's before this mod.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Kind of what we thought Bob...Thanks for the great info...
    you mentioned the 66> had the 3 bolt top...is that right??
    Thought that came in the 68> but I saw some pictures of the 911R with it.

John

Inner fender change

John,

It looks like the inner fender change was at 305 101, the start of the model year 1967 911 and 912's around September 1966. All the 67 911S have them.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Kevin (ksten) called today to say I'm WRONG...again. His car is 302943, engine 902965, 1965 911 and has the adjustable 3 bolt strut top mount... yup the change came much sooner than in 1966. Looks like the spring/summer of 1965.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Quote Originally Posted by Bobs 67S
    It looks like the inner fender change was at 305 101...
    Bob-

The factory repair manual states in the wheel alignment section:
    "Caster and camber cannot be adjusted on vehicles up to chassis serial number 302.694, as well as on Chassis Nr. 302.736 and 302.805." I imagine that was when the change kicked in?

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Yes 302 943. The other number is his engine. (I like that edit button). I guess I have to read the (*) manual.

Thanks for the catch Tom.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370