Thread: Dorkiphus Brass Shift Coupler Bushings - Round 2

Dorkiphus Brass Shift Coupler Bushings - Round 2

Over on the Dorkiphus Northern Virginia P-car board we are trying to get another batch of brass shift coupler bushings produced. These are a nice alternative to the Wevo and Stromski shift couplers.

If you don't know what I'm talking about here's the original thread with the technical specs:
    http://www.dorkiphus.com/porsche/showthread.php?t=4612

If you're interested in signing up the add a post in the following thread:
    http://www.dorkiphus.com/porsche/showthread.php?t=11946 or just post here and I'll see if I can coordinate the folks that are interested.

Moderators - if this is for some reason not ok to post please delete this post. Thanks,
    -Scott
    -Scott
    1987 911 turbo
    In the past - '71 T, '77 S 3.6, '80 SC, '88 3.6 cab

IMHO these bushings should be used with caution.

The "play" and "slop" of the the factory bushings are there for a reason.
    Given the high quality of all other Porsche parts, design and manufacturing, the same would apply to this coupling and bushings.

The mechanic who rebuilt my engine and transmission explained to me the requirement of the play in the original design. He was a racing team lead mechanic in the 60's and 70's.

The play accomidates chassis and motor mount flex as well as driver's bad habit of resting their hand on the shifter. Solid, tight tolerance, bushings cause greater wear on the shift forks and can kick the car out of gear in extreme cases.

So if you want to use these bushings get yourself some racing tranny mounts, nail your linkage adjustment and keep you hand off the shifter.

Happy shifting.
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.