Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1971 intermitent wiper wiring help

1971 intermitent wiper wiring help

Trying to get my wipers to work and I think I may have connected the wrong wires up. Here's a pic of the 4 connections on the wiper through the clock opening in the dash. The black with yellow striker wire seems to be the power lead and energizes with the wiper switch. I looked at the wiring diagram, but it doesn't show the physical location of the wires on the wiper motor. The cluster at top is the ground. Haven't checked the black with purple and brown with pink yet. Any hthoughts?

Also while we're at it, I found a condensor on the top of the dash with 2 red wires on one side and a black wire that is disconnected. Any ideas where this wire belongs? Thanks Allan
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough

IIRC, the 70 911 had the intermittant wiper plus two speeds.
    However in '71 it went back to the standard three speeds.
    Check your wiring diagram for a 70 or 71 date.
    Any other takes on this ?

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

If you don't have the original workshop manual for the 71, let me know and I'll look it up in mine. Unfortunately the wiring diagrams don't always make it crystal clear which wire goes on which terminal visually speaking...of course the fact that I'm not an electrical engineer probably has something to do with it.

edit: oops, didn't see that you said you have the wiring diagram. I'm looking at mine and it's kinda vague appearing to me. The book shows the black w/yellow stripe connecting separate from the black wire (your pic sorta shows the two together). I'm seeing black/yellow stripe, then a blue wire, then black, then double brown (ground) and finally red/grey stripe sort of in a left to right scenario...thus my comment on how it's confusion visually when looking at your picture.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Hey Paul, I have the manual, but the wiring diagram just shows wires to poles and not the positions on the motor. Hoping I find someone with a 71 who could just pull the clock and peak inside, it's right there. I looked at the pins on the motor, but couldn't see any makings that would correspond with the schematic. I figured out that the top pin is ground, but I don't see a blue wire on the schematic nor the red/white motor power wire that is hooked up to the #6 fuse in the trunk. Also trying to figure out that condensor looking thing under the dash. Thanks Allan

You got it. I'll yank out the clock today and shoot you a pic.
    Paul Schooley
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

wiper wiring

These are my notes from when I removed the wiper moter from my 71S. Hope it helps.
    Looking in from dash

........................... Blue ---

Black/Green --- Black/Blue --- Black ---

......................................Double Brown ---

Just relooked at your picture and your arrangement seem to be differect than mine.

Good luck, John
    Early S Registry #630
    71 911S Irish Green
    65 911 #301826, Silver
    57 Speedster #83702 Aquamarine Blue

Ok. I'm beginning to think that something's rotten in Deutschland. The pics of mine will show a different scenario. Left wire appears to be black. Top center one is black with purple stripe (maybe blue? I'm partially color blind), below that is a pair of wires that are black/yellow stripe and black (with possibly another yellow stripe) and below all that is a brown wire with a grey spot (this appears to be only one wire, not 2).
    I need to qualify mine by saying that I had a licenced Porsche mechanic with 30 yrs experience replace my wiper motor. Is it the correct one for a 71? I can't say that with confidence but in the picture it is what it is.
    The condensor above looks to be wired correctly as well with a black wire on top and a pair of red wires below it (one for sure has a grey or offwhite dot on it).
    Hope this helps a bit, but then again.....
    Paul Schooley
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

The plot thckens. 3 1971 911's , and 3 different wiper units. You would expect this from British cars with Colin Chapman pulling anything off the self that would fit, but a Porsche? Well with nothing to lose but a bunch of fuses, I decided to play musical chairs with the wires.

What I have found out so far is that the multiple brown wires are indeed ground and goes in to the 12 O'clock position. The double black and yellow stripe is the power lead and is always on in the upmost stalk position, off one down, delayed two down, and no power three down and plugs in to the 6 O'clock position. This now will operate the wiper motor all the time when it's full on, but only sometimes two down until I tap on the relay, and nothing three down on the stalk. But it does not allow the wiper to return to it's fully down position rather just leaves the wiper stopped where ever it is when you turn off the wiper.

The black with pink stripe seems to be on only in the one down position which I assume is the power for the wiper to return to it's fully down position when the wipers are turned off. Power is on, but wipers do not move with this wire in either the 9 O'clock or 3 O'clock plugs.

The single brown wire with white strikers is the only wire left and is not a ground nor does it power up with the stalk in any position. But I will trace the diagram to see what it does.

I assume both relays are bad and will be replacing them. The intermitent relay needs a tap for the second speed to come on and now thrid speed, and the wiper follow up relay to return it home doesn't do anything.

Paul, the condensor wires, the two red go into the harness but My black wire is unpluged and I have no other connectors to try it in. It powers up with the ignition, is this the radio power source? Thanks again and any suggestions will be appreciated, Allan

Wow man...I'm havin a 70's brain death! You gots me...all I can tell ya is that mine works correctly the way it's wired. I don't have a radio that works so I'd have to remove the seats and climb under there and do some studying.

What I do see here is that your terminals seem to be arranged the same as mine and not like that other one that's three in a row. That said, you appear to have a variation on wiring from mine due to the combined brown ground wires (I know any 911 wire that's brown is a ground). I'm sure there were several configurations over the years and you can probably use several different wiper motors in there as long as you know the correct hookup...no?

Paul Schooley
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Ordering at the two relays tomorrow at 90 bucks each. Paul, if you get the chance, please trace the black wire off the consensor for me, the lead is about 6 inches long and has to plug in somewhere nearby. I'm thinking radio power lead, but not sure, Thanks Allan