Thread: Install engine/tranny together or separately?

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!

Install engine/tranny together or separately?

After about one year of having the engine out of my 69S for a rebuild, I am starting to contemplate putting it back in. I have been using Wayne's book but to my horror I noticed that Wayne skips the part about putting engine back in the car. My number one concern is to avoid having the engine fall on me when I am under the car. My number two concern is whether I should put it in the same way I took it out, as one unit. My mechanic tells me it can be very difficult to align the tranny support so the bolts don't cross-thread (he says if they do your in big trouble) when the engine and tranny are attached. Third, since the ass end of the car is jacked up, to align everything perfertly it will be necessary to jack up the engine/tranny at a comparable angle. Is this difficult to achieve?
    Finally, while I am under the car securing the tranny support what can I do so I don't have to worry about the tranny/engine possibly falling on my head?

Don
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1976 914
    1969 911S
    1981 911SC

Put it in the same way it came out. It's no big deal but you should have a spare pair of hands around for safety's sake.
    If you can utilize a "scissors lift" on the chassis you can keep the entire car level and drop the car on the engine while it's sitting on whatever arrangement you have to jack it up and into the car. I've done this on 356's and 911's.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Play with the location of the floor jack and you will find a nice sweet spot so that the engine/trans unit balances. Its really a lot easier than it looks...just be sure that the car is supported well.

Once it is jacked up and in place, start the rear bolts first. Get a few threads started and move to the trans mount so that you have a bit of movement available for lining up the trans mount.

Have fun and have beer in the fridge when you finish!
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    I had my '65's engine in and out without too much difficulty with the engine and transmission mated.

I bought a motorcycle jack for handling the engine and built a wooden platform out of 2x4s to span its two rails. It works better on a 356, but actually can (barely) balance a 911 engine/transmission. The nice thing about the motorcycle jack is that you have a bigger platform and balance isn't too critical.

The transmission shifter nose has to go up and in first, and I found that my regular floor jack could tilt the engine/transmission a bit while I raised the engine with the motorcycle jack.

I succeeded doing it solo, but an extra set of eyes--if not hands--could be a plus.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Don,

You know this question keeps coming up all the time and for me personally I don't know why anyone would want to remove the engine by itself and leave the tranny installed. I have never tried as it so easy to remove the whole unit. And usually you need to check both parts anyway....so separating the two is not a problem... It really is not that big of a deal to remove together and install together. I have done it by myself many times. It is especially easy if you have this great tool that fits on a regular floor jack. It adjust for the angle if you just jack up the rear. By the way I have found it is easier to have the car up on two sets of stands...front and rear...car is then level...get truck stands...they are taller...with the car level or just a little rear up position it makes it easy....no alignment problems or hunting to put the bolts in the mounts.
    The tool makes it a snap for one person or many...always good to have some one else there but not always possible...it makes the whole package balance perfectly...here are a couple of pictures form the Pelican site which sell it and others do also...it was well worth the money...
    Good luck....John
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I'd also recommend putting the engine/tranny back in as a single unit. The advice to get the combo 'balanced' on the jack is good. I usually try to get the bolts in for the motor mounts in first (just threaded in, but not tight), then continue to jack up until you can line up the transmission mounts.
    '73.5T -- ST replica project
    Member #1045

Engine re-install

I have done it both ways. Last spring I did my 73t in two parts, and previously on my dad's 70T with them together. I prefer together. I agree with TWork and Cornpanzer. The right balance point with the jack and starting at the rear mounts works well. That will get the front mounts close. They are tough to align sometimes but take your time and don't force them. Work the jack around and they will line up. Be careful with the shift rod coming out of the front of the transaxle when you are aligining things initially also. I only raise the rear of the car and always remove the license plate panel so I don't have to raise it too high. I have always done it alone and it is not a big deal but is bulky. Having a friend over for a spare set of hands and eyes is good advice as is the beer waiting in the fridge! Good luck.
    Steven Shanofski

1973.5 911T Sunroof Coupe - 414 Olive
    1970 911T Targa - Paint to Sample

1955 Cessna C-170B (Gone but not forgotten.)